M3 rear subframe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 rear subframe?

has anyone here tried to install a M3 subframe on a later model 325? tried today and it seems to be about 1 millimeter shorter-- It won't fit. anyone know why?

It's supposed to be the same part # so, no, I don't know why it wouldn't fit. Has your car been involved in any accidents?

Comment

not the same part number. the M3 has different exhaust hanger bracket welded on it, but other than that it looks the exact same just 1 mm shorter. tried a subframe from a 325(different car) and it fits perfect, the car is accident free 1990 316i M40. did the earlier style cars have a different (shorter) subframe? early arch style vs later style. my ETM isnt working right now, so I cant check. if its different part numbers for the different years.
      I know the EVO III has a different part number than the regular M3s, but have no idea what the difference is there either

Comment

I just put an 84 325e subframe on my 88 facelift 325is. The Evo III subframe has different mounts for the trailing arms, check out s14.net for pictures.
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

maybe the subframe from the m3 was in an accident, it was a e-bay buy? it doesnt look bent though. odd!

Comment

Probably a slightly bent subframe Mike. I installed a straight and true '90 M3 subframe in my '91 318is, bolts up w/o problems. These subframes bend over time due to stress from rearend loads, M3's are usually driven the hardest, and are geared short, so the used ones may tend to be bent. My stock 318 subframe was bent after 13 years of use.

Comment

I'm curious as to what the advantages are to using a "M3" over a a reg. e30 subframe??
              sigpic
              Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
              00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
              92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
              91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
              91' e34 525iA=For parts
              92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

there are absolutely no advantages to the m3 subframe. It was bought off ebay to see if it was different at all, and its not, except the mounting tab for the exhaust. It was just being used because the complete car is being redone, and it was already stripped and laying in the shop. by the way the IE poly subframe bushings and Kmac T-arm poly bushings are beautiful. like a piece of art-- almost too nice to use.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler
                  there are absolutely no advantages to the m3 subframe.
                  Wrong

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                  https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                    Wrong
                    I am finally gotta settle this. I have an E30M3 subframe and an E30 subframe. I will probably get pictures side by side. I am also curious myself.

Comment

please explain, and if your going to say its got different camber and caster on it--- WRONG we measured everything and its the exact same. the EVO III is different, but the regular M3 is the same except the exhaust hanger! its the same as the front subframe---
                      it has a different part number because of the different brackets(exhaust for back, front motor stabi shock for 4 to 6cyl.

Comment

Wrong
                        Care to elaborate? They are exaclty the same except for the extra exhaust hanger. If you get the thicker washer to go above the subframe bushings, those make a difference. But the frame itself isn't anything special.
                        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

I have an M3 subframe in my car. It fits the same as my old one, but like you said, Mike, the exhaust hanger is different. My exhaust is hung from it, but the rubber hanger is really stretched to stay connected.
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Wrong
                            Please expalin...????
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Bump - Jordan. Care to explain?
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X