Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks - E30 vs M3 vs MZ3

Guys,

I've had the 5 lug swap done for awhile now. I've got IE3 springs, M3 stuff up front, and 318ti stuff in back with E30 shocks (bilsteins). Seems to me the front is a LOT stiffer than the rear and it got me thinking - what is the difference in rear shocks - E30/M3/MZ3? They all look like they would bolt up the same... Are the latter two any different from normal rear E30 shocks? What's the deal?
    Last edited by xer0trigger; 03-06-2010, 09:50 PM.
    sigpic

Not sure about the MZ3 but the e36 dampers are longer than e30 ones.

Comment

MZ3 and e30 bilstein sports are identical in length but mz3's are a LOT stiffer, checked side to side. Also the body is a bit thicker as well but it doesn't interfere with axle boot so it doesn't matter.

E30 vs E30 m3 should be the same in back.

Did you have the IE springs on the e30 suspension before? I mean on e30 billy sports front and rear? So only real change was going to e36 m3 bilstein sports? Confirm plz

Comment

I had e30 M3 springs and relatively new sachs OEM replacement shocks on it before the swap. Then went to billy sports and IE3's. M3 billies in front and e30 billies in the rear.

MZ3 rears might be an interesting option then, if the length is the same but stiffness is up...

The front of my car is VERY stiff (a good thing), while the rear seems pretty sloppy.

Also, what's the difference between the E36 M3 fronts and the E36 MZ3 fronts? I always thought they were the same but the part #'s for billy sports are different...
        Last edited by xer0trigger; 04-03-2010, 10:04 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

I just put the M Roadster shocks on the rear today. Quite a bit fatter than the E30 shocks for sure, and much stiffer.

Personally, I don't think people should be recommending the use of E30 rear shocks with the (E36 M3) 5-lug swap. Paired with M3 fronts, the bias is way off. This solution is much better. Thanks for the tip!
          sigpic

Comment

I just reused mine... They are e30 bilstein sports. But if you are saying that the bilstein sports for the Z3M are a better match (read, stiff as hell like the e36 M3 front bilstein sports) then I may just have to do some suspension swapping. What did the set of rear shocks set you back?
            sigpic
            e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. =)

I got the pair on sale from bavauto for $170 with free shipping. I think normally they are about $95/ea - which is about $10 cheaper than what the regular e30 rears go for. It's win / win! =)
              sigpic

Comment

Just get them re-valved , problem solved.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I sold my E30 rears for $140, and bought the MZ3 rears for $170. So for $30, I got stiffer rears... Probably a lot cheaper than having them re-valved. =)
                  sigpic

Comment

No, you did ok. But it only costs 65 per shock to get them re-valved to your specs :)
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by xer0trigger View Post
                      I just put the M Roadster shocks on the rear today. Quite a bit fatter than the E30 shocks for sure, and much stiffer.

Personally, I don't think people should be recommending the use of E30 rear shocks with the (E36 M3) 5-lug swap. Paired with M3 fronts, the bias is way off. This solution is much better. Thanks for the tip!
                      Which part number did end up installing in the rear?
                      E30 325i 24v, E36 M3/4/5, MK2 GLI 16v, NA8 Miata
                      Prestige Auto Repair
                      Mercedes-Benz|BMW|MINI
                      prestigegermanrepair.com

Comment

BE5-2730's
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X