Call me stupid but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me stupid but....

I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of parts to get for a 5 lug conversion! I want to change out the control arms so I know that. But what are the brakes from?? an e36? How many pistons do they have? Also, say I buy the control arms and everything.... If I did a coilover setup would I want e30 or e36 coilovers? can anyone point me towards a good build log of the conversion? I'd like to do this conversion but even before I buy the shell or the car, I am doing a price matrix so I can distribute my funds appropriately and see how much I really need and whats the most economical options and etc....

So any insight would be appreciated!!!
    Oh babay babay

Use the search.

Read.

Read some more.

Read even more.

Then if you still have this question, ask.

Cliffs:

Easiest but most expensive is E30 M3 suspension.

You can use E36 M3 fronts and 318ti trailing arms for the rear but you can have caster issues and need offset control arm bushings and caster plates and it's still not perfect.
    sigpic
    Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

stupid butt.

Comment

Sorry for the OT, but is that a formula SAE car in your signature?

What school? is that your 2010 car?

Comment

Yes that is my FSAE car. I am from the university of Delaware and that is not the car from the 2010 season. Sorry, you can't peek at that yet =P
          Oh babay babay

Comment

Oregon State is going to own you :P

I'm actually on the baja team but the formula team has a full carbon monocoque this year, its looking pretty sweet.

Comment

Yeaa.... you'd be surprised. We had a monocoque years ago. There's a reason why we got rid of it.... Sometimes you can still get to 400 lbs with a steel frame =P Oh wait we did that last year.
              Oh babay babay

Comment

Thats pretty cool, our car last year was 300lbs (lightest car at atleast one of the competitions we went to) and this year were looking to be just as light, maybe a few pounds lighter. They only run a single cylinder engine though, but I guess it saves them around 50lbs over the yamaha 4cly they used to run.

But yeah I know a steel frame chassis can be just as light if done right (and even lighter if the carbon isn't done right), I just think the carbon looks cool.

What part of the car did you work on?

Comment

300lbs?? Jesus! What did you guys do? Make anti-matter or something? The single cylinder would do it. What did you run? a 250? I did the electrical diagnostics, wiring harness, co-responsible for welding of the frame, machined some odds and ends. Unfortunately the hub I machined was screwed up by the guy who finished it, so my lathe work did not go on the car. We hope to weigh in the 360-380 lbs range with out motor. The body was rather heavy for providing no function, our seat was all sorts of screwed up and redesigned the hubs and the chassis.

What did you do on the car? Going to California this year?
                  Oh babay babay

Comment

you need this?
                    :borg:

Comment

Working...
                    X