16mm strut shaft diameter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16mm strut shaft diameter??

Im in the middle of puting this coilover setup together, Its '92 E36 bilstein sports with the perches chopped off, and Ground controls coilover kit. Im looking at the upper shaft today though and its got this huge 16mm shaft diameter and my UUC strut mounts dont slide down over it.. and I dont see why they would even need to go down that far since I'd be left with about 3" of shaft sticking up through the upper mounts..
    Has anybody ran into this? Im wishing now that I just ordered later production struts or M3 struts but these were only 200 bucks for both brand new, some guy had them and couldnt use them.
    On real OEM they show a different upper mount style for the earlier E36. Im guessing this strut would work fine in those cars and none of the aftermarket camber/caster plates specify a production date cutoff for E36's. Vorshlag offers different options on their plates but its kinda confusing on their site.. I emailed them and am awaiting a reply
    Attached Files

ok i got an email from vorshlag.. seems like i need to either order their upper mounts (400 bucks) or order GC's mounts. I like the ground control ones cause they are a bit cheaper and you can punch in all the specs of your upper strut shaft to get it to fit perfectly.
    thing that bugs me is UUC and all the others like Turner etc.. say their mounts fit "ALL" e36 chassis. this isnt true

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
      thing that bugs me is UUC and all the others like Turner etc.. say their mounts fit "ALL" e36 chassis. this isnt true
      What's not true?

They do fit all E36 chassis, and shocks that conform to the OE spec.

The oversize 16mm shaft of those dampers are the parts that are not compatible with OE spec.
      - Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * rob@shortshifter.com
      Phone calls preferred. Email second. No PMs, that's why I have real email. :mrgreen:

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

Your source for E30 Ultimate Shifters, SwayBars, Brake parts/Big Brake Kits, and much more!

First ever LED headlight conversion - [ CLICK HERE ]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob@UUC View Post
        What's not true?

They do fit all E36 chassis, and shocks that conform to the OE spec.

The oversize 16mm shaft of those dampers are the parts that are not compatible with OE spec.
        NO they dont. First two years of E36 production had a different upper strut mount, dude. the bilsteins i have are designed to bolt up to these cars.
        do your homework.

Comment

Working...
        X