M3 spindle with e36 brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 spindle with e36 brakes?

Here's an odd question. Can I use e36 rotors, calipers, and bracket with an M3 spindle?

I have a complete E36 for parts and it'll be easier on the budget if I can wait to pick up M3 brake parts for a month or two.

I know that the hub is the same on the M3 and the E36 from checking part numbers. I'm after the wheel offset from the M3 spindle for now.

Thanks!

iirc the caliper carriers of the non-m are not compatible with the m hubs.
    Originally posted by FredK
    However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
    Feedback

Comment

dang.

That's what I suspected, but not the end of the world.
      The hubs are the same, so I'm assuming that you mean spindles aren't compatible...

Comment

correct, caliper doesn't line up... Massive Lee had the exact difference measurements. Posted somewhere in this section as well under a thread name very similar to yours.

Comment

IIRC the carrier mount is offset ~3mm on the M3 spindles.

So in your case, a spacer (washer even) could make up that difference to mount the non-M carriers.
          292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

that is interesting...

Maybe I'll take a whack at it, I've got a lathe and a mill for just that kind of situation.

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

I know someone on here (or maybe E30tech) put M3 caliper/carriers on to non-M spindles but had to mill the ~3mm out of the carrier.

Are you not wanting to run M3 brakes because of wheels size (sticking with 15's say) / $$$/availability / weight ??
              292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

You can put the e36 carriers and calipers on the M3 spindle using spacers between the carrier and the caliper mounts on the spindle. But it doesn't mean the circumference of the rotor will line up with the top of the pads.

The difference in offset is 6mm give or take 0.1mm, that's a tad thinner than 1/4" (6.35mm)

The M3 and non-M hubs/bearings are the same.
                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                  You can put the e36 carriers and calipers on the M3 spindle using spacers between the carrier and the caliper mounts on the spindle. But it doesn't mean the circumference of the rotor will line up with the top of the pads.

The difference in offset is 6mm give or take 0.1mm, that's a tad thinner than 1/4" (6.35mm)

The M3 and non-M hubs/bearings are the same.
                  What about doing the opposite, using non-M struts with M spindles and brakes? Is that possible?
                  1989 325is w/M52 swap
                  1989 320i coupe, mostly stock

Comment

Guys, please let's be serious. Next question will probably be about fitting used Kia rotors with scrap Firefly calipers on VW struts and fit them to an e30?
                    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                      Guys, please let's be serious. Next question will probably be about fitting used Kia rotors with scrap Firefly calipers on VW struts and fit them to an e30?
                      Actually it was a pretty serious question. I am gathering parts for my 5-lug swap now. My rear shocks are Koni STR.T units, and I'd like to use matching front struts. However since Koni doesn't make an STR.T for an M, I would just use standard E36 STR.T struts and M3 calipers/brackets/spindles/rotors. So far I haven't seen any mention of M3 spindles not working on non-M struts; in fact Bimmerworld sells the M3 brake kit as an upgrade for non-M's. Just thought I'd ask here, but I guess I can make another thread.
                      1989 325is w/M52 swap

Comment

all e36 struts work with all e36 spindles. makes no difference in that area. the spindles themselves are different in geometry and caliper mounting

Comment

True but non M (and 95 M) struts take larger diameter springs. So e30 diameter springs won't sit nice. I love my e36 m3 koni inserts in stock 96-99 m3 struts, gotta say.

Comment

all new parts..They did have them on sale for awhile for under 900.

https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
                              True but non M (and 95 M) struts take larger diameter springs. So e30 diameter springs won't sit nice. I love my e36 m3 koni inserts in stock 96-99 m3 struts, gotta say.
                              My understanding is that you can use Z3 springs up front. Their lower diameter is the same as E36 non-M and the upper diameter is the same as E30.
                              1989 325is w/M52 swap

Comment

Working...
                              X