Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the secret to getting the front wheel centered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the secret to getting the front wheel centered?

So - this seems to be the only tricky park with the e36 front 5-lug swap.

I am planning on using THR lollypops. Will this solve the wheel centering alone or do you also need to run e36 m3 '96+ control arms as well?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

u need the 96+ arms also

Comment

Yep , 96+ M3 control arms and at least a M3 offset spec CAB .

And even then it wont be ideal .
      But its the closest you can get without going to drastic measures like slotting the CAB mounts or other tricks .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of this?
        after the 96+ and cabs.

Comment

The secret is simple. Don't use shit ass e36 parts.

Case in point:

e36 325i/M3 struts, kingpins etc. 96 M3+ offset control arms, THR eyeball arms, slotted to allow yet more forward caster.

This will BARELY put you at the fringe area of factory castor specs. It will still not be perfectly centered front to back.

You also end up with whack ass positive camber using the e36 shit unless you use camber plates to bring it again.. barely into acceptable specs.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

Case in point:

e36 325i/M3 struts, kingpins etc. 96 M3+ offset control arms, THR eyeball arms, slotted to allow yet more forward caster.

This will BARELY put you at the fringe area of factory castor specs. It will still not be perfectly centered front to back.

You also end up with whack ass positive camber using the e36 shit unless you use camber plates to bring it again.. barely into acceptable specs.
            so basically yer saying e30 m3 front struts or bust?
            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30
              so basically yer saying e30 m3 front struts or bust?
              Correctamundo.

Comment

but any of the 5 lug parts for the rear will work fine? ie 318ti, M coupe or any of those variants, Which has the better brakes out of the E30 M3 or 318ti?

Whats the deal on offset when mix'n'matching parts? Ie jordan- you used E30M3 front with MZ3 rear, does this mean you need different offset wheels? I ask as spacers aren't strictly legal.

Comment

Case in point:

Doing things the proper way and not the halfass e30tech backassward method?

You crazy fucking bastard.

-Charlie
                  Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                  '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                  FYYFF

Comment

Case in point:

while those are all good points, another one would be going m3 parts for financial reasons, to get the control arms, CABs, and all the other stuff to make this work, its cheaper in the end to do it the right way

Comment

Originally posted by Borat
                      but any of the 5 lug parts for the rear will work fine? ie 318ti, M coupe or any of those variants, Which has the better brakes out of the E30 M3 or 318ti?
                      Sizes for rear rotors:

e30 325i.......258x10mm
                      e30 M3.........284x10mm
                      e36 318Ti.....272x10mm
                      e36 325i.......280x10mm
                      Z3.(all).........272x10mm
                      e36 M3.........312x20mm
                      M-Roadster...312x20mm

Originally posted by Borat
                      Whats the deal on offset when mix'n'matching parts? Ie jordan- you used E30M3 front with MZ3 rear, does this mean you need different offset wheels? I ask as spacers aren't strictly legal.
                      I used SBI rotor spacers to run e36 M3 brakes, and MZ3 rear trailing arms. Overall offset is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3
                        while those are all good points, another one would be going m3 parts for financial reasons, to get the control arms, CABs, and all the other stuff to make this work, its cheaper in the end to do it the right way
                        yes, that is also correct.

Comment

Correctamundo.
                          this post isnt because i'm baised, but IMO the e36 parts are a nice substitution for the hard-to-come-by e30 m3 parts, with little or no side effects. :shrugs:

Comment

Originally posted by Il Duce
                            this post isnt because i'm baised, but IMO the e36 parts are a nice substitution for the hard-to-come-by e30 m3 parts, with little or no side effects. :shrugs:
                            Post up your post suspension swap alignment specs so I can post the factory specs, and I can point out on paper just how horrid the e36 "solution" is.

Comment

Post up your post suspension swap alignment specs so I can post the factory specs, and I can point out on paper just how horrid the e36 "solution" is.

i pick and choose my battles jR0dan. my battles will never be with you, and my opinion will never change regardless of how ignorant you feel they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X