Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob, has anyone tried making their own 5-lug hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob, has anyone tried making their own 5-lug hub?

What would be the problem with machining a new hub with a 5-lug bolt pattern? This seems like the easiest and most logical way to get the extra lug on each wheel. I have never researched this topic so flame away if I just asked a retarded question

People have talked about it, but I don't think anyone has ever followed through.

Comment

I think I saw a discussion about this a couple years ago, and one of the things posted was how little material there would be out on the edge of the hub, plus fill and drill.

Comment

Well if I ever need a 5 lug swap then I will be a pioneer and make my own hubs for it. I mean, how hard can it be? :D

I think a good start would be checking all the cars that share the same size bearing. I know the rears are the same as some Audis and Porsches.

Comment

I was just thinking about the same thing. I too thought about the fill and re-drill, but I don't think there is going to be enough material to make it structurally safe.

This might sound stupid, but has any one tried to use an e36 hub? I have no hands on knowledge, but it looks like it could work.
          sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
            This might sound stupid, but has any one tried to use an e36 hub? I have no hands on knowledge, but it looks like it could work.
            It's not stupid. I did it.
            sigpic
            Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

I tried once. All i had was some wood and hot glue. It worked for awhile.
              I then did ask a machine shop. They owner drove an E36 and said hmmmmm
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Why wouldn't one be able to machine an E36 sized and styled hub to match to a standard E30 bearing? Better yet an E30 M3 sized and styled hub?
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

This seems like the most simple way to go about getting 5 lugs...

Yes? Can we do this!? I WANT TO DO THIS!!!
                  REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

The E30 and E36 use the same rear wheel bearing, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use an E36 hub in an E30 trailing arm.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I'm running this:

I was thinking of selling them, I wanted to run at least a season on them. No issues so far.
                      sigpic
                      Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

So will you sell them?

Comment

I've got a friend in Quebec interested in purchasing this same sort of setup. Any thoughts on moving forward with production?

Comment

what would be ideal price of the new hubs? This is a new hub for the Porsche my friend has made. It would been really easy to fabricate similar to BMW as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X