Help ID my E36 5-lug stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ID my E36 5-lug stuff

I inherited this 5-lug setup from the PO. Can someone ID all the components for me? I may have a blown strut & need to figure out whether to get an M or non-M replacement. BTW springs are racing dynamics.

"If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

i do not see the sway bar mounted to the strut tube. I'm guess that if there isn't a spot on the strut to connect then it would be regular e36.

Comment

Originally posted by rkettner View Post
      i do not see the sway bar mounted to the strut tube. I'm guess that if there isn't a spot on the strut to connect then it would be regular e36.
      This. All E36 M struts have a tab for the sway bar link to attach to. You may want to consider upgrading, as it's always recommended to replace struts in pairs.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

The e36 bilstein sports will have the m3 tabs for the sway bars if you want to go that route. I'm pretty sure its the same part# for both e36 and e36m. Might be wrong there but when I talked to Turner when I ordered mine I'm pretty sure thats what they told me. I'm running AST's now and both have the provision to mount the sway bar m style on the strut but I didn't want to go down that road just yet. Wainting to put it on the track 1st and judge if its needed for my driving style. It would be the same as adding a larger sway bar. With really high spring rates it may not be needed. We'll see.

Look on CA's for the part # and search to make sure they are 97+. Not sure on the rest from the pics.

Originally posted by Roysneon
        $5 shipped?
        Originally posted by MarkD
        You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Incorrect. My 328 has Bilstein sports and no swaybar tabs. You have to order M specific.

Moral of this story?

Comment

Thanks to all. To clarify, this is a flexy-flyer cabrio. I'm wanting to downgrade to softer springs & struts, so non-M would work better. Wanted to be sure the non-M struts would bolt to the knuckles OK and not throw off the geometry. My tires are pretty well placed in the fenders, so I'm not wanting to move anything.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Literally the only difference between the M and Non-M struts is that little tab.

Moral of this story?

Comment

Beautiful - Thanks everyone.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Can you weld the tab on the strut tube like you can on e3o tube?

Comment

You could, but it's not really recommended. Extreme heat can really fuck up your struts.

Moral of this story?

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I think that he does have those tabs in place. I see something in the last pic and the spring perch looks to be small compared to other e36's...

My vote here, is that you have e36M struts. Your brakes look smaller then mine, but I think that's just an illusion, because of the wheel.

You have 96+ M control arms as well. Looks like somebody went the entire way to get the swap done right. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                        Literally the only difference between the M and Non-M struts is that little tab.
                        Thanks for trying to help, but wrong answer. :curse: Regardless, it's my own fault for acting on internet forum mis-information.

See: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=226263

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

My E36 Bilstein sports look exactly like that one, minus the tab. :/

Moral of this story?

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                            My E36 Bilstein sports look exactly like that one, minus the tab. :/
                            Then I apologize for being a dick, which was bad form anyway. What year is yours? Is spring diameter on non-M an early vs late thing?

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                            Maybe it's just me, but I think that he does have those tabs in place. I see something in the last pic and the spring perch looks to be small compared to other e36's...

My vote here, is that you have e36M struts. Your brakes look smaller then mine, but I think that's just an illusion, because of the wheel.

You have 96+ M control arms as well. Looks like somebody went the entire way to get the swap done right. Congrats.
                            Thanks - The wheels do in fact sit exactly centered front/back in the fender. They rub at full lock, but the tires are too tall at 225-45-17 on 40 offset wheels. With the taller H&R OE springs and 235-40-17 tires, I'm hoping there will be no rubbing at all.
                            Last edited by funcrew; 10-30-2011, 03:28 PM.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
                              Then I apologize for being a dick, which was bad form anyway. What year is yours? Is spring diameter on non-M an early vs late thing?
                              Mine is a 1998. I know the strut mounts changed at some point, and that the early ones won't fit late cars, though the reason for the change is unknown to me.

Moral of this story?

Comment

Working...
                              X