Need some 5-lug help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some 5-lug help

In the interest of larger brakes, amongst other things, I am becoming more interested in finishing my parts collection for a 5-lug swap.

I have E36 325 complete strut/brake assemblies, and have access to 318ti trailing arms, hubs, brakes. I also have a set of 15" E36 325 wheels.

1. The E36 325 front strut assembly is a 1-piece housing and strut, not an insert like the E30's. Can the E36 housing be modified to fit an E30 Bilstein insert?

2. If no, then I must buy E36 325 Bilsteins?

3. Will offset M3 CAB's be enough to center the wheel to avoid rubbing? Will I need Treehouse CAB's? Will I need E36 M3 contrdol arms?

4. Will offset E36 M3 upper strut mounts be enough to give me ~1 degree of negative camber? Or are adjustable camber plates necessary?

Any help is appreciated,
    Stu

Re: Need some 5-lug help

Originally posted by Stu Mc
    1. The E36 325 front strut assembly is a 1-piece housing and strut, not an insert like the E30's. Can the E36 housing be modified to fit an E30 Bilstein insert?

2. If no, then I must buy E36 325 Bilsteins?

3. Will offset M3 CAB's be enough to center the wheel to avoid rubbing? Will I need Treehouse CAB's? Will I need E36 M3 contrdol arms?

4. Will offset E36 M3 upper strut mounts be enough to give me ~1 degree of negative camber? Or are adjustable camber plates necessary?

Any help is appreciated,
    Stu
    1. anything can be done with enough money.
    2. i found it much easier and cheaper to use the e36m3 bilsteins. the e36m3 and e30 share the same spring diameter while the e36-325 has a different diameter.....you cannot use the e30 springs with the e36-325's.
    3. i used the e30m3 offset cabs with the 96-99 e36m3 control arms (they have built in caster...not the 95's.) with 235/40/17 tires on 8" width rims, there was some rubbing.....but with 215/40 on motorsports there is very little....even at full rotation.
    4. you will need to modify the e36m3 upper strut mount. wack off the studs and weld on new ones. ive got a lot of good pictures and a good starting reference point for adding the new ones. the way i did it does not require camber plates. if you ditch the e36m3 modified strut bearings....ive heard of others saying only the kmac ones give enough camber / caster....you will max out those settings.

I added one washer to the bottom of the strut/knuckle bolts to get my camber at -1.2deg. after a couple of track days i have added an additional thin washer....it might be around -1.5 now.

drop me an email if you would like any pictures. cheers, jason

Comment

Working...
    X