Closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed

Found answers I was pleasantly surprised with. Thanks!
    Last edited by BBDirtbiking; 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM.
    "Bayerische Motoren Werke - freude am fahren."

Brandon {Current: 1991 318iS, 2007 328i, 2014 X5 xDrive35d | Past: 1992 525i, 1997 528i, 1999 540i}

Not to rain on your thread, but.....Someone posts this exact thread every 3 months. Nothing much ever comes of it. (I think one guy got to a working prototype - but no further)

It seems there would be so much custom work, it's not really feasible. [I]'m sure if you search you'll find other people's attempts.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I am more so looking for feedback on my questions. I know people have come up with the idea as it is such a great one, but not everyone has the means to get things rolling. I on the other hand have the business connections that make it possible.

I am just trying to get an idea as to how many people are interested in this ordeal as to see if there is a market base. I'd hate to sink money into a ship going under, if you get my pun...

Once I know there is a market place, it is design time and I will get quotes from our caster and our machine shop... C&C machines for the win.

Brandon {Current: 1991 318iS, 2007 328i, 2014 X5 xDrive35d | Past: 1992 525i, 1997 528i, 1999 540i}

Comment

Originally posted by BBDirtbiking View Post
        1. What is the average cost of a 5-lug swap (both front and rear) on an E30.
        2. Would you want to change to lug studs rather then the lug bolts?
        3. Would you do a brake upgrade at the same time if you could, or would you want to utilize the stock E30 brakes?
        4. Would you be interested in an easier and cheaper way of getting a 5-lug swap done on your E30. Key word is cheaper!
        1.) Anywhere from $400-600 on the low end(e36), on up to $2500-3500+ on the high end (e30 m3)

2.)Sure, there are kits out there that people spend ~$75-100 to switch over to studs.

3.)Of course, why would you want stock brakes but the work of having 5lugs. Most people do 5lug swaps for wheel options first, and brake improvements second. 5x120 BMW wheel options are a whole lot more plentiful than 4x100.

4.) duh.

But, just like George Graves said, this comes up at least 4 times a year from a new member, but goes nowhere, the setup and tooling work to make what is proposed outweighs the profit margin. It's much easier to source factory components than it is to purchase custom, one-off, or low production components. why would someone be interested in taking a brake rotor they had to order to a machine shop every time they want to replace rotors/pads as opposed to buying something from practically anywhere and slapping it on?

(Note: IIRC, the last few proposals for this procedure have been Student Engineers, or already in the field Machinists/CNC Programers)

Comment

Thank you Farbin. This goes to show how little I know about the 5-lug swap as I did not know it could be done for $400-600 with E36 stuff. I thought it was only possible via E30 M3 parts which is ridiculously expensive.

Well, you pretty much threw out my idea! Haha. I wouldn't be able to compete with $600...

I am not surprised a lot of Engineering Students turn to this idea as I'd rather have my own company then work for a firm because if you come up with your own idea not related to said firm, they can take it as there own as you often have to sign a bunch of paperwork saying that they can when you are hired... Haha.

Well if its really only $400-600, I may have to do a 5-lug swap on my car! It would go nice with my M52. Or if you wanna sell my some S52 cams for cheap... Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            Not to rain on your thread, but.....Someone posts this exact thread every 3 months. Nothing much ever comes of it. (I think one guy got to a working prototype - but no further)

It seems there would be so much custom work, it's not really feasible. [I]'m sure if you search you'll find other people's attempts.
            Truth. You would be dealing with a market group who's focus is low cost parts. Nearly all 5-lug swaps come off of junked cars. In other words, cheap existing stock.

1. I pieced together an e36/Z3 based 5-lug swap for $480.

2. Don't see the point. Stud conversions can be purchased for <$100 any time.

3. No, I have no qualms with stock brakes and feel they are very underrated. I can lock up my Rt-615's at 30 mph with Hawk HPS, why save my foot the work of pressing the extra 1/2"?

4. Nope.

This forum is infested with engineering students playing with these 'lego brick' cars.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
            Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

I was just trying to find a cheaper option then M3 parts, and that would be E36/Z parts, haha. I figured if I am going to design a set for myself, see if there is anyone else that would want one. But the E36/Z route will be far easier and cheaper.

Comment

Working...
              X