Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug issues !

Hey folks.

I have been working on my E30 for a while now, doing a bunch of work. amongst others I am doing up a 5-lug for the nice brake setup!
    So for the rear I have MZ3 rca's and those seem to be working out great.
    Now for the front I have 98 M3 spindles(907 and 908), MZ3 Control Arms(465 and 466) and THR offset CAB's.
    I used all new hardware for everything, to include camber bolts, new nuts on the Control Arms etc. etc.
    For suspension I purchased the Ground Control 5 Lug Kit that they make. And to top it off a new 98 M3 Steering rack with new inner and outer tie rods, also 98 M3.
    Wheels are a bashed set of Ronal style 138's 17x7.5 with a offset of 43mm and 225/50r17
    my other set is a set of OZ Racing Allegerita HLT and are 18x8 with a offset of 34mm and 235/40r18 tires.

Now that you're in the loop on what parts I have Here is my issue.

On mthe drivers side the wheel pokes out about 1/2' from the fender where on the passenger side it sits about 1/4" inwards of the fender, which is where I presume it is supposed to sit. I tried 2 different sets of wheels and swapped the wheels side to side. If I adjust the camber with the camber bolt on the drivers side as far negative as it will go, and then pull the camber drivers side camber plate max negative, it is still more positive then the passenger side at max positive!
    I took everything back apart tonight and double checked all my partnumbers and checked for proper assembly, which it all seems good.

There are 2 theories I have at this point and time..
    1st. my 907 spindle is bent, which I doubt, for it installs rather easy and the bearing still runs smooth, but you never know.
    2nd. My Ground Control front strut housing might be for a non-M spindle. [EDIT: Talked to Ground Control, even if this were the issue it wouldn't cause this!]

I measured from the the upper outermost portion of the brake rotor to the strut housing. it was a touch over 5" on either side or 13cm.
    if there was any difference between left and right it certainly was not enough to warrant the vast difference in wheel position.

I also verified the subframe as being straight and true !

Now I have to admit the car has not had an alignment yet, as there is no engine in it and I am in the middle of swapping engines as well.
    Has anybody else ran into this issue?

Thanks in advance

Phil
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Snoxxy; 08-18-2012, 12:19 AM.

more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

more pics even still
      Attached Files

Comment

last batch of pics
        Attached Files

Comment

the only thing that locates the wheel inwards or outwards like that is the control arm.

wrong or mismatched?

Comment

Look at the lower strut mounts from the front so you can see the face against the back of the spindle. GC makes housings with "extra kick" that will give more space for tire/rim on the inside and less camber - if they look different...maybe you have different strut housings.

Other than control arm, that's all i can think of at this moment.

Best of luck!!
            Nitin G. Shanbhag
            BMWCCA #101510
            76 2002, 88 M3 Racecar, 88 M3 2.5, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 Trackbeater , 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Comment

Working...
            X