Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro

Hello guys and gals, im new here and i hope to learn alot about my e30 from you guys. I've had e36/e39/e46M before and this will be my first e30.

As always maintenances is first and along with that (suspensions) i would like to consider doing an all around 5 lugs swap. From what i gather from all the resources i've read, i've need (keeping it simple too)

Front:
    96+ e36M spindles
    E36M hubs
    M3 Bilstein struts
    E30 springs/top mounts
    E30 offset bushings

Rears:
    E36 318ti TA's
    E36 Z3 I6 Brakes/calipers
    318ti rotors

Does this seem like a pretty complete lists as to what i need for my 5 lugs? thanks and here she is.\

Got everything done with alignment specs
    Attached Files
    Last edited by e30mpg; 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM.

Don't forget 96+ M3 control arms and offset control arm bushings. You may want to look into camber/caster plates so that you get the wheel as centered as possible in the wheel well with the e36 set up. Hopefully this helps.

--Joey

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
      Don't forget 96+ M3 control arms and offset control arm bushings. You may want to look into camber/caster plates so that you get the wheel as centered as possible in the wheel well with the e36 set up. Hopefully this helps.

--Joey
      yeah thnx i got those. My old 99 M3 CA's with e30 Meyle BJ. Now just need to get them pressed in. Will i need to modified the m3 calipers for it to work?

Comment

M3 calipers will bolt up to m3 knuckles/spindles, so it's a bolt on affair. You will need to splice the abs sensor up front though (just match the wire colors, and cap off the extra one for the e36 side).

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
          M3 calipers will bolt up to m3 knuckles/spindles, so it's a bolt on affair. You will need to splice the abs sensor up front though (just match the wire colors, and cap off the extra one for the e36 side).
          thanks much for the info, What about the rears? I hear 318Ti TA's and caliper/rotors is all i need? Think i can run 16x7.5 (225/50/16) ACT wheels with ET34 ok without rubbings?

Comment

Originally posted by e30mpg View Post
            Think i can run 16x7.5 (225/50/16) ACT wheels with ET34 ok without rubbings?
            16x7.5 et34 should be okay on stock fenders with e36 5-lug.

why the incorrect tire size? 225/45-16 is closest match to OEM rolling diameter, and if you're worried about clearance, you shouldn't be going larger.
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
              16x7.5 et34 should be okay on stock fenders with e36 5-lug.

why the incorrect tire size? 225/45-16 is closest match to OEM rolling diameter, and if you're worried about clearance, you shouldn't be going larger.

i didn't think they have 225/45/16. But if they do then great. Thanks for the info and i'll post some pics and updates.

Comment

i didn't think they have 225/45/16. But if they do then great. Thanks for the info and i'll post some pics and updates.
                i have BFG KDW in that size. looks good and fantastic amount of grip for the price.

also, rereading above- you are going to *need*, not want, front camber plates (and no, those half-degree "offset" strut mounts are not going to cut it). something with a considerable range of adjustment. i am using the vorshlag plates in my setup and i can't get as much negative camber as i'd like.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                  i have BFG KDW in that size. looks good and fantastic amount of grip for the price.

also, rereading above- you are going to *need*, not want, front camber plates (and no, those half-degree "offset" strut mounts are not going to cut it). something with a considerable range of adjustment. i am using the vorshlag plates in my setup and i can't get as much negative camber as i'd like.

do you have a link to the camber plates you are using. Can't i use offset eyeballs and 96+ mount and switch them around to give me the negative cambers i need?

Comment

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-42...otorsport.aspx

these could save you the cost of camber plates for now. or just use harware that you have laying aorund.

Comment

Originally posted by rkettner View Post
                      http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-42...otorsport.aspx

these could save you the cost of camber plates for now. or just use harware that you have laying aorund.

yes, thank you for the info.

Comment

im looking to pickup some e36 DS2 staggered setup and the offset will be stock offset #42 (i think), will i need to roll my fenders with Ti setup?

Comment

Ok, so i am starting my 5 lugs swap now and will be doing my own research along with what others on this and other forums have done for references. These are the parts list i have now.

Front:

Complete 1998 e36 M3 front end
                          96+ Control arms
                          e30 M3 offset bushings
                          Using e36 M3 H&R race springs
                          E30 strut mounts
                          e90 top hat
                          Stock steering rack with stock tie rods (until i find a z3 rack)

Rears:

08/1999 Z3 Roadster (non M)
                          z3 3.46 LSD diff
                          z3 Trailing Arms
                          Z3 96mm half shafts
                          e30 diff flanges
                          z3 hubs
                          e23 740i caliper brackets
                          e23 735i calipers
                          e23 735i rotors (302mm)

With this setup my brake bias will be within specs of M3 brakes for front/rears!!??

Also, i know z3 hubs stick out an additional +20mm added to the current +23mm= +43mm offset, so i would need to run high offset wheels in the back, right??

I planning to some Ronals BBS et35 / 16x7 with 225/45/16 all 4 corners? Any thoughts?
                          Last edited by e30mpg; 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

do you have a link to the camber plates you are using.

Can't i use offset eyeballs and 96+ mount and switch them around to give me the negative cambers i need?
                            no. eyeball and control arms change caster, not camber.

i've never seen anyone try the combo of parts you have listed here, but it sounds like you're set on using it. good luck
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

I don't know about your choice of rear rotor.

Comment

Working...
                              X