Want to make room for less et...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to make room for less et...

So, the wheels I want to use on rear are 18" x 8.5" et37. In the 5 lug swap bible, using the Z3M rear set up allows clearance for 7.5 et41. My math says the outside edge of the wheel I want to use will be spaced out 16.7mm further.

When looking at the crossmember, I realized it would be simple to move the trailing arms, and I haven't determined how this will effect the shock and spring positions. What I have thought about is the half shafts... I've read that the Z3M's shafts are longer than e30, but what I need to know is the specific lengths of other shafts that may work. Anyone researched this or have some numbers?

Cheers,

Blake

If z3m stuff is wider why not just use e30 m3 rear hubs and adapt different brakes. Seems easier than moving mounts and different axles and such.
    sigpic

Comment

The way I understand it, the Z3M trailing arms are wider and the hubs are shorter... Good thinking though, thank you!

Comment

So whats the point of going with z3m trailing arms. They are slightly more re-enforced but otherwise not much different. Stock e30 arms with m3 hubs would keep the track the same in the rear which i belive is 1-2 inches less than z3m stuff.
        sigpic

Comment

The original point was that I needed the gear ratio of the diff for the S50 swap, and wanted the rear brakes to balance well with the front e36 M3 brakes. The problem is I would have to go and find wheels I want that don't work... But then again if we all wanted this to be easy we could buy e36/e46/e9x M3's and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by brent5631 View Post
            So whats the point of going with z3m trailing arms. They are slightly more re-enforced but otherwise not much different. Stock e30 arms with m3 hubs would keep the track the same in the rear which i belive is 1-2 inches less than z3m stuff.
            Maybe I missed the point of this post. Are you saying if I use the stock trailing arms and M3 hubs I can still use the Z3M brakes? And which M3 hubs would this be?

Comment

I dont think z3m brakes will work with stock trailing arms and m3 hubs. But I am talking about e30 m3 hubs in the rear on stock trailing arms. Then for brakes come up with something custom or any BBK that works on a rear e30 m3 would work.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, thank you. I know there are multiple ways to skin a cat, and I do appreciate your input, but honestly to me that sounds way more complicated than what I am looking to do... Not to mention I already have the complete Z3M rear suspension, differential, brakes, subframe....

I just need to know what axles I may be able to look for, that are a little shorter.

Comment

Working...
                X