Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying to attempt 5-lug conversion using '97 M3 parts... help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to attempt 5-lug conversion using '97 M3 parts... help?

Hey guys, ive been searching and searching but i cant find one clear answer on doing this conversion using E36 M3 parts. I wrecked my '97 M3 coupe the other week and bought it back from insurance to part out and what not. I recently decided to buy an E30 and i just found a '89 325i that i would like to buy and am most deffinately buying.

What parts do i need to remove from my M3 to use on the new E30 for the conversion?
    Also, what parts am i going to have to buy aftermarket and what parts am i going to need to pull off of other cars to make this all work.

I am new to the whole E30 scene, i have had E36's for the past couple of years and have gotten to know them too well so i think it is time to start on a different BMW. IF you guys could help me out to figure this all out that would be amazing. Thanks alot guys and glad to be part of this forum now. You may all know me from bimmerforums.com if you are on there too. thanks again. ~rich

Originally posted by redrocket328
    Hey guys, ive been searching and searching but i cant find one clear answer on doing this conversion using E36 M3 parts.
    You suck at searching then. No help for you!

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

e30 m3 fronts and 318ti rears...don't worry bout Jordan....He's blunt

BTW welcome to R3V and hope you have a thick skin ;)
      some people are harsh but don't worry bout it

and keep your engine...would go great in the 325i
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
        e30 m3 fronts and 318ti rears...don't worry bout Jordan....He's blunt

BTW welcome to R3V and hope you have a thick skin ;)
        some people are harsh but don't worry bout it

and keep your engine...would go great in the 325i
        But is there anything salvagable for the 5 lug conversion from the 97 M3 hubs? I was always under the impression that you could use E36 standard parts.

Comment

yeah but I'm sure you have heard how they are crap...hahaha jordan chime in ;)

Jordan does know about this swap...the e36 stuff works but its crap....e30m3 up front, e36 318ti in the back
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Don't listen to those guys, you can you need your control arms and front struts. Not sure what tierods you use. Keep all your brakes, motor, tranny, seats. Other people have shown there nothing wrong with E36 stuff. E30 M3 is the preferred option but waste of money if you have the E36 parts there already

Comment

Originally posted by Borat
              Other people have shown there nothing wrong with E36 stuff.
              No. Other people have shown that with e36 stuff you can barely get it within acceptable factory alignment specs at monster truck ride hieght.

Besides he can easily sell the e36 parts then turn around and buy the appropriate proper parts for the same money.

Comment

thanks guys, jordan do you know if getting a new steering rack is necessary, if so what do you suggest?

Comment

Nope. Your stock steering rack will work just fine!

Comment

Also, i am reading over one of your post on doing the rear 5 lug conversion using the MZ3 parts. Is that what i need to do in the rear for my car?

Comment

It's not what you need to do, unless you want the biggest brakes possible.

Comment

In the rear, all i have to do is put in the 318ti rear trailing arms and get new shocks and springs correct? should i go with the koni and GC kit? for the E30 or E36?

Comment

e30 GC's and Koni's.

Comment

Just curious what year that 318ti's rear suspenison have 5 lugs?

1987 325es. LSD 3.25 (Stock)
                            1984 325e (shell)

Goal Project:
                            5 Lugs Suspension
                            1996 M3 S52
                            E36 6 Speed
                            Rieger/Mtech Body Kits
                            Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

Every year.

Aaron
                              2008 Audi S4 Avant