que?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

que?

starting a project, still in the visualization stage.

to the CMM soon, then a real model in solidworks, then CNC, then..

what am I looking at here? Lower strut block for a double adjustable suspension??
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Trying to 5-lug? Explain sir
      Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
      Bimmerbuddies LLC
      717-388-1256
      2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
      bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

bolt pattern looks like the e12 or e28 one.. I think I see what you're doing here.
        cars beep boop

Comment

(if that's what you're doing, the e12 struts will be better suited to the task than e28 struts, they take stock e30 shock dimensions and got bigass 4-pot calipers stock)
          cars beep boop

Comment

thanks kronus, i may investigate that.

everyone else, this is for adapting an e34 strut body to an e30 utilizing stock e30 control arms and tie rods. i also plan on using e30-fitment shocks, springs, and camber plates/top mounts, and this will require strut insert sleeves/spacers to make up for the difference between the e30 and e34 strut body dimensions.

the goals are thus:

retain stock e30m geometry
            allow for lower front offsets (unlike the e36m setup)
            ability to fit under 15" wheels (i have stock e30m weaves and will be basing dimensions off of them)
            have the ability to correct for roll center/bump steer via supplemental spacers (this will exclude the use of 15" wheels)

additional benefits include:

302x28mm rotors and 60mm piston calipers (e34 540i/e32 750i equipment)
            strut-body front sway mount via e34 endlink.. increased front bar effectiveness

i will be pairing this setup with a 25mm m/c and e30m rear 5-lug and brake equipment.

Comment

Ah, e34 also makes sense and is even more available. The strut tube length is going to be a killer though - the e34 one is the same length as e28, an inch longer than e30/e12. Of course, not an issue if you're planning to chop the tubes to install coilover adjusters. I also just remembered that the sweet e12 4-pots are dual-circuit calipers, so that conversion would be difficult to perform on an e30 without creative MC adaptation.

I have a close fitment situation in the front right now due to adapters - very interested in seeing this solution come to life, it would fix all my problems.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Updates? I'm genuinely interested.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Very cool.
                  1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
                  1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
                  1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                  E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

hey everyone.

i started a new job and have been busy with the move and such.

i do however have some more CMM data that i will scan and post but recently have thought.. wouldn't it make more sense to lathe down some weld-on spindle adapters?

so that might happen instead. lord knows it'd be a simpler part to produce!

the real deal breaker will be if i can find a reamer with the right taper to mate to BMW's control arm and tie rod ball joints.

Comment

just realized my previous 'revelation' was a dud. i'm not too keen on caliper carrier brackets!

so i'll press on with the adapter

Comment

Working...
                      X