X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifeiskaos
    replied
    old thread bump alert

does anyone know the width from hub to hub for the e28 rear end? IE, is it wider than the e30 m3? less wide than the 318ti?

basically if it's any less wide than a 318ti i will strongly consider it for several reasons: 1) i can take advantage of the beefy halfshafts with my m52 turbo. 2) bigger brakes are a plus. 3) low offset 5 lug wheels with some dish are HOT.

Leave a comment:

• dRIFt3R
    replied
    So its been quiet a while since anyone has posted up info in here.
    Did anyone go through with this in the end? I cant see why you cant just use 3 bolts to bolt the strut on, if thats all the e28 had then it must be strong enough. Has anyone just sleeved the standard e30 spindle to accept the e28 hub? It may be a cheaper way of doin things, except you dont get the bigger brakes.

Leave a comment:

• MR_SAZ
    replied
    so are we suggesting that if we swap the E30 ABS-ring sensors to that of the E28 it could still work without having to change the ABS Ring....

Anyone know yet??

UPDATE: just incase you dont know, the ABS ring required for this swap MUST BE from an E30 M3!!! not a std E30!!! Ultimate garage sells them for $60ea, money well worth spending on a quality item!

sash

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    What about Luke's idea of using all E28 ABS rings? Then they would all be giving out the same signal.

Leave a comment:

• PiercedE30
    replied
    No. The ring itself is different. You can use the same sensors and get a different signal due to the signal produced by the ring.

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
    The M3 ring is not available separately. But there is a shop in the US that makes them. Not cheap at $60.00 though, but can be reused over and over. Go online and check for the Ultimate Garage.

Or click here. He, he.
    http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/a...S+ring&x=0&y=0

I have noticed that the e30 M3 uses the same pulse generators (34 52 1 178 981 & 34 52 1 178 982 ) as the e30 325i ( both 1991 models at least ). In theory shouldn't you be able to use the ABS ring from the 325i on the e28 hub/bearing assembly ? Instead of buying the ones from the link above ? Or are the 325i and M3 rings completely different? TIA
    Last edited by atomic; 01-18-2008, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Miasma
    replied
    Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
    E28 trailing arms require full rear coil-overs and reinforcements in the shock tower. They don't have a spot for a set of E30 style springs, although you might be able to add it.
    That work's perfect for what I plan on doing, Im guessing E28 coilover's? The car is getting a GM L92 with the Holden car intake and a 6-speed. 500+ ponie's(being very conservative), That's why im doing this. Thank's.

Leave a comment:

• PiercedE30
    replied
    Originally posted by AriasATX View Post
    So full E28 subframe/brakes/diff in the back, and E30 M3 strut housing's in the front with E28 hub's with M3 abs ring's will work? Or can I use a stock E30 strut housing with spindel sleeve's/e28 hub/M3 abs ring, and E28 front brake's? I have access to a good family friend's machine shop and skill's. I also have access to my brother's 535 part's car with perfect suspension still on it(tree fell on it).
    E28 trailing arms require full rear coil-overs and reinforcements in the shock tower. They don't have a spot for a set of E30 style springs, although you might be able to add it.

Leave a comment:

• Miasma
    replied
    So full E28 subframe/brakes/diff in the back, and E30 M3 strut housing's in the front with E28 hub's with M3 abs ring's will work? Or can I use a stock E30 strut housing with spindel sleeve's/e28 hub/M3 abs ring, and E28 front brake's? I have access to a good family friend's machine shop and skill's. I also have access to my brother's 535 part's car with perfect suspension still on it(tree fell on it).

Leave a comment:

• xLibelle
    replied
    i'm patiently awaiting any progress on this as well. though looking back through the pictures, i am a little concerned that this will more than likely not work. The hub knuckle differences are so great, thatyou would definelty need an extention bracket installed, just to keep the e28 brakes from touching the m3 control linkage.
    as you can see in these pictures, the m3 knuckle has a part that extends down so the bolt-on linkage doesnt come near the brakes, etc.
    The e28 strut/hub on the other hand has its mount point right up under the shock. The m3 linkage wont even come close to bolting up alone.
    Just something to think about.
    Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
    E30M3

E28

Leave a comment:

• MR_SAZ
    replied
    Any updates guys on this topic?????

i`m still following...

Leave a comment:

• xLibelle
    replied
    lee, not sure if you catch what we are interested in here. its not about swapping the m3 bearings for the e28's, as i assume many already knew this will work.
    The high dollar item we are trying to find a replacement for is the strut housing, where as the e28 has a simular bolt-on lower bracket, yet the design is backwards so some consideration for that is needed.

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    The M3 ring is not available separately. But there is a shop in the US that makes them. Not cheap at $60.00 though, but can be reused over and over. Go online and check for the Ultimate Garage.

Or click here. He, he.
    http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/a...S+ring&x=0&y=0

Great INFO !! SWEET ASS FIND ... Thanks !!

Leave a comment:

• Massive Lee
    replied

Or click here. He, he.

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    No. No. No.

On the e30 M3, the much cheaper (pricewise) e28 hub/bearing is a direct replacement and only the ABS ring needs to be swapped, which is a 10 minute job. Many M3 owners do it. Still uses stock M3 brake components. I always bring a spare e28 hub to the track, with the ring already removed.

Racers may use an e28 hub/bearing on a regular e30 strut by sleeving the spindle. My friend's e30 with 4.4 V8 has ran that configuration for more than 8 years.

I have not researched it on realoem.com or at the dealer but can the ABS ring from an e30 M3 be purchased alone ? I plan on doing a five lug swap soon and have both fron strut housings but only one has a bearing on it while the other does not. And if I can buy the ABS ring alone then I am golden to use the e28 hub. Any input would be appreciated greatly .... TIA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X