No announcement yet.

E28 535i Hub assembly swap to get 5 stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a closeup I found of the bottom of the e28 housing. I think welding a gusseted triangular piece of plate steel with a tapped 8mm hole to the corner would be plenty strong.

Comment

holy crap, that would move the wheel forward over an inch!
      cool idea, i just dont know if this would be feasible

hmmmmm.... we need some more measurments!!

if you were cutting off the spring perch to modify for 2.5 dia springs... you *could* swap the left and right sides and manufacture an adapter block as pictured above, but to accomodate the changed groove location. :)

man, the strut tube is so long, you'd HAVE to modify it or you ride like a 4x4 or on bumps (just a guess by the looks of them)

Comment

2002maniac: You would definitely have to have a proficient welder do the work, but I could definitely see how one would go about adding another spot for a bolt on there now. You would also need to run the left side on the right side and vice versus. Hell, if you got the parts from a 535 you could even use the brake calipers.
        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Shortening the strut would be a must. I dont see why the position of the wheel would be moved though. The spacers pictured are just to improve geometry. I would probably just cut a new slot in the strut housing to match the E30M3 knuckle (I love working in a machine shop ;P).

You certainly could switch them left/right but I dont think it would be necessary.

I absolutely love the fact that I could go to the pick n pull and get E28 struts with hubs, rotors, and calipers for next to nothing.

if I didnt have tuition due this week I'd order a set of knuckles right away...

Comment

m3 strut has spindle and brake at rear of shock while the e28 is mirrored exactly. you can almost see it in those pics and the ETK diagrams are both of the left side assemblies

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
              You certainly could switch them left/right but I dont think it would be necessary.
              I think it would, caliper would most likely interfere the tierod end.
              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
              BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
              BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Shortening the strut would be a must. I dont see why the position of the wheel would be moved though. The spacers pictured are just to improve geometry. I would probably just cut a new slot in the strut housing to match the E30M3 knuckle (I love working in a machine shop ;P).

I absolutely love the fact that I could go to the pick n pull and get E28 struts with hubs, rotors, and calipers for next to nothing.

if I didnt have tuition due this week I'd order a set of knuckles right away...
                any progress on this 2002maniac

Comment

Originally posted by twenty318is View Post
                  any progress on this 2002maniac
                  yeah, I picked up an e28 strut last week. Looks promising. I'll update when I get around to ordering the M3 knuckle.

Comment

yeah, I picked up an e28 strut last week. Looks promising. I'll update when I get around to ordering the M3 knuckle.
                    Please hurry :)
                    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
                    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
                    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                      Please hurry :)
                      lol, please do.

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
                        lol, please do.
                        lol, well I just picked up a new car for my wife so money may be a bit tight for a while. Probably wont be any progress for a while :(

Comment

this is so interesting.....we need BMAUTO to shed more light on this...
                          i have both struts side by side....not that much different...ir u run a coilover setup, using coilover sleeves the length isnt an issue...

very very interesting hope we get answers guys!

good luck

sash
                          Signature removed by R3V staff due to a violation of the forum rules

Comment

No. No. No.

On the e30 M3, the much cheaper (pricewise) e28 hub/bearing is a direct replacement and only the ABS ring needs to be swapped, which is a 10 minute job. Many M3 owners do it. Still uses stock M3 brake components. I always bring a spare e28 hub to the track, with the ring already removed.

Racers may use an e28 hub/bearing on a regular e30 strut by sleeving the spindle. My friend's e30 with 4.4 V8 has ran that configuration for more than 8 years.
                            Last edited by Massive Lee; 11-04-2007, 07:18 AM.
                            Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                              No. No. No.

On the e30 M3, the much cheaper (pricewise) e28 hub/bearing is a direct replacement and only the ABS ring needs to be swapped, which is a 10 minute job. Many M3 owners do it. Still uses stock M3 brake components. I always bring a spare e28 hub to the track, with the ring already removed.

Racers may use an e28 hub/bearing on a regular e30 strut by sleeving the spindle. My friend's e30 with 4.4 V8 has ran that configuration for more than 8 years.

I have not researched it on realoem.com or at the dealer but can the ABS ring from an e30 M3 be purchased alone ? I plan on doing a five lug swap soon and have both fron strut housings but only one has a bearing on it while the other does not. And if I can buy the ABS ring alone then I am golden to use the e28 hub. Any input would be appreciated greatly .... TIA

Comment

The M3 ring is not available separately. But there is a shop in the US that makes them. Not cheap at $60.00 though, but can be reused over and over. Go online and check for the Ultimate Garage.

Or click here. He, he.
                                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Working...
                                X