Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do these make the conversion in the rear easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FredK View Post
    yeah, but Bavarian Auto Recycling is kinda spotty for getting parts. They sent me two right brake calipers once, but fortunately they sent a left immediately after I called them.
    yeah i know, i have had mixed experiences with them as well, BUT they have the part and its cheap...
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Thats who I got my m3 ones from. Turns out they were 735i ones. Ask Atomic. :(
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
        Thats who I got my m3 ones from. Turns out they were 735i ones. Ask Atomic. :(
        so they wouldnt bolt up since the carriers are different??

Comment

Yeah the bolt pattern on the e32 rear carriers are about a inch wider apart than what is needed to bolt up to e30 trailing arms. You will need the e32 rear calipers though and modify rear e36 318ti / non M z3 carriers to clear the rotors. Only e36 318ti and non M z3 rear carriers will mount to the e30 trailing arm, (along with e30 standard and m carriers of course). Both 318ti and non M z3 rear carriers are the same part number. They will need about a 1/16" taken from the front and back side so the rotor will clear that part and most importantly you will need to take close to a 1/4" from the arched depth so the carrier will fit over the rear rotor and bolt up to the trailing arm. Even after taking that much material away there is still plenty leftover so you shouldn't worry about that. Just make sure you take baby steps so you do not take more material away than needed.

The first one I did took about an hour to do, but once I had it the way I wanted it and it worked. the second one took maybe 15 minutes to replicate. I used a grinder and squared the opening up with a triangle hand file. The metal is fairly soft and not hard to make the changes needed to get clearance.

Piecerede30 and GaziellebeigeM3 did this same thing when doing their e30 m3 5 lug swap.
          Last edited by atomic; 07-01-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

one more question to confuse any1 else whos reading this thread, i was told by another m3 5lug user that the 733i rear carriers are bolt on for e30 m3 conversion. does anybody else know if this is true?

Comment

Massive Lee told me the only carriers that will bolt up to the e30 trailing arm were e36 318ti and non M z3 rear carriers only. And of course the standard e30 and e30 m3 as well...

Comment

okay, i got the 735 calipers and 318ti carriers so i will be shaving some material offa the carriers this week. i will try and take some before and after pics.

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                  okay, i got the 735 calipers and 318ti carriers so i will be shaving some material offa the carriers this week. i will try and take some before and after pics.

Cool

I looked at the standard e30 rear carriers to get an idea of what kind of clearance needed before altering the 318ti carriers. That way when you do the swap over you can take your time and make sure you do not take more material away than needed.

I wished I would have taken pictures of mine at the time, but I did not have a camera handy. All in all it is easier than you think. PM me if you need and I will also keep an eye on this if you have any questions along the way.

Good Luck

Comment

yeah, my brake pads must be on a slow boat from china... i cant tell what needs to be shaved without them, Atomic can you tell from the pics where it needs to be shaved?

started painting, then stopped because i remembered i had to shave it down still....

Comment

red brake caliper carriers, time to put your flame suit on.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907 View Post
                        n00b. e30 m3 5lug setup + s50 swapped = my car can pull off pretty much any look.

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907 View Post

Brakes and Vanity Plates are always supposed to match.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                            Brakes and Vanity Plates are always supposed to match.
                            bahahaha, . damn.

Comment

I was thinking about painting my calipers pink. ;)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                                I was thinking about painting my calipers pink. ;)
                                soooo.... would you be willing to take a pic of your modified carrier for me?;)

Comment

Working...
                                X