Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clavinZERO's 5-lug swap with *PICS* and details galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by var1ant View Post
    How's the abs problem?
    Still undiagnosed. I have been too lazy / busy to get in there and check the wiring out again. I have only locked them once so... I am not too worried about not having it. But still, not having the ABS dash light come on intermittently would be nice. I'll post up when it's sorted out... like wiring colors for the sensors and such.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
    HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
    **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

your pictures look amazing. those wheels fit well. after all that though im surprised you dont have euro grills tho;)
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

do you know off hand the number of teeth front verses back?

i have the same setup as you, and have had intermittent abs since day one.

i figured the number of teeth were different, but nows its apperent as i have installed race logic traction control which uses the abs sensors.

the rear wheels show a faster speed than the front. so maybe there are more in the back?

i doubt you could get away with grinding off a tooth or two, but if i really want ABS i might consider making some rings.

for the traction control, i can just change the number of teeth it sees.

nice car by the way.

600hp beast

Comment

Nice. And Bender where is your member's thread?

Comment

Sick sick ride Clavin! My only complaint is the E36 offset wheels ;)

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
            RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
              Nice. And Bender where is your member's thread?
              members thread? i don't really post on this site much ;)

i really like clavins wheels. never thought of them. i previous had #44's on my car. they looked really good, but the front offset was a little wrong and they poked out a little

600hp beast

Comment

Did you need spacers for those wheels? They look like they fit pretty good front and rear for an et41 wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by cheades View Post
                  Did you need spacers for those wheels? They look like they fit pretty good front and rear for an et41 wheel.
                  no sir, no spacers. I am more than pleased with the fitment. The only concerns now are how to get more rubber in there (maybe 8.5" wheels) and I need a steering rack lock so I don't rub (only a little bit) at hard lock right and left.

Comment

How much room do you have between the wheel/tire and the strut tube?

Comment

Up front, I have about a finger width or more between the outter rim and the strut.

Comment

What a beautiful picture. Looks flawless.
                        turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                        Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

love the set-up
                          love the wheels
                          hate that grin on your face

GJ man

Comment

super job !! great choice of wheels and thanks for sharing the info

Comment

Originally posted by clavinZERO View Post
                              Still undiagnosed. I have been too lazy / busy to get in there and check the wiring out again. I have only locked them once so... I am not too worried about not having it. But still, not having the ABS dash light come on intermittently would be nice. I'll post up when it's sorted out... like wiring colors for the sensors and such.
                              Having correct sensors/ring is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. Your ABS problems will be coming from different wheel speeds being registered from the different tooth number on the different rings. Depending on the difference, this can create an implausible driving condition in the software logic (there can't be a big difference in wheel speeds when there's no brake torque), and put your ABS in shut-down (or "limp-home") mode. You will still have brake bias (open-loop) but no ABS (closed-loop). This can also mess up the reference velocity, meaning the controller won't know how fast the car's going or worse think its going a speed it isn't (which can be dangerous). Basically, you can't just mix-and-match, unfortunately it doesnt work like that. If you want to get the thing working you really need to use ALL the original components (sensors, rings, etc) and even then the performance will be limited compared to the original (since you've changed the environment it was designed to work with).
                              Do you get any ABS activation? Have you tried? I would be surprised if the system could work around that condition.
                              ANyway there is alot more to know, if you want, PM me.

Nice work by the way. The thing looks immaculate!
                              Do you have the original Caster/camber data for a comparo? Did you need to do anything to get the front axle centred? or did it just line up with those bushes? (It looks about right from the pics)

Does anyone know if/how-much the kingpin offset changes?
                              Last edited by btec116; 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I know all about the ring differences and such... the main thing for me was getting the electrical correct. E36 ABS sensors have 3 wires whereas E30 have 2. I am still not sure if I even care about ABS at all anymore. My plan is to eventually stick some matching rings onto the rear axles.

As far as the centering goes, it's nearly centered in the wheel well. There is a pic up top that shows the specs and the actual alignment numbers. All is well. I did nothing but use the offset bushings and the '97 control arms.

I don't have any data from the previous alignment with the E30-only stuff (H&R sports and just offset control arm bushings). All I have is the new data, and it is good. Coming up are Vorshlag camber plates for the front to add a little bite up there.

She handles sweet and stops like a mother. Not to mention, my tire wear is better now too.

Thanks for stopping by!

Comment

Working...
                                X