Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clavinZERO's 5-lug swap with *PICS* and details galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome, that sounds good. Aiming for 2deg neg on a street setup would be sweet!

I've always been thinking about the 5-lug, its so tempting. Good to see others do it so well!

Comment

Originally posted by btec116 View Post
      Awesome, that sounds good. Aiming for 2deg neg on a street setup would be sweet!

I've always been thinking about the 5-lug, its so tempting. Good to see others do it so well!
      :D

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
      HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
      **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Calvin you have a sweet car with or without the five lug swap. Great job on the swap though. I will not have your ABS problem though because my 1990 iS did not come with it.
        sigpic

Comment

calipers painted red = you are gay. sorry to be the one to tell you this. ;-p

Comment

well then call me homo!

actually... I thought about switching to silver. We shall see.

Comment

IMO, wilwood has it right with BLACK calipers... for heat dissipation. :)

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
                IMO, wilwood has it right with BLACK calipers... for heat dissipation. :)
                Black absorbs heat. Silver would be better for heat dissipation.
                89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
                  Black absorbs heat. Silver would be better for heat dissipation.
                  LOL where would it absorb heat from? You happen to be right, but wrong. Black absorbs, *AND* radiates heat, the best. naked silver aluminum (no paint) might be best, but IF youre going to paint, go black!

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
                    LOL where would it absorb heat from? You happen to be right, but wrong. Black absorbs, *AND* radiates heat, the best. naked silver aluminum (no paint) might be best, but IF youre going to paint, go black!
                    From the rotor and anything else it's in contact with. I was going with the idea that black retains heat more and therefore would be hotter longer when compared to a silver caliper after a similar braking test.
                    89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                    E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

I do like the look of the black, but that pic is of a wilwood caliper - which just looks super sweet in and of itself, regardless of color, hehe. A much cleaner, techie looking piece.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
                        From the rotor and anything else it's in contact with. I was going with the idea that black retains heat more and therefore would be hotter longer when compared to a silver caliper after a similar braking test.

AYA DUH the rotor!! (that is aimed at myself fyi. ;))

i was thinking of the brakes as a single system. anyway google the subject and you'll find out that black also radiates heat the best. there is no isolating the caliper from rotor heat mechanically, that is how you boil the fluid. the best you can hope for is to cool it better via either leaving it naked or going black. imo, anyway. ;)

Comment

Well... I don't have over heating problems yet, but if I did, caliper color would not be my solution. Better cooling ducts would be, but that is fuhraze.

Thanks for the color argumentation/input anyways guys.

Comment

Did you spray paint your rotors? Did I miss something?

Comment

I did, then scraped clean the friction surfaces...

When you look past my wheels at the rotors, they are clean and black in the "hat" area instead of rusty.

Comment

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
                                X