5 lug offset question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug offset question.

I searched and still was not able to find the answer to my question, I must have missed it.. that or I'm really surprised that it hasn't been discussed b4?

What would the offset be on a 5 lug conversion using e36 m3 brakes/strut assembly in the front, and 318ti rear brakes?

The reason why I am asking is because I am going to be doing the 5 lug swap, but have a set of 17x8.5 kosei k1s offset 40.

I do not know if I will be needing spacers, hopefully not, but I want to be able to run as the widest tires as possible. I was shooting for 235 wide but that might be too wide, I really do not want to go anything smaller then 225. The car will be running on coilovers, I honestly don't care about looks atm so I am willing to sacrifice looks for performance.

So basically :

1) Will my kosei k1s fit?
    2) Will I need spacers?
    3) What's the wides I can go?

Thanks so much,

-Abe.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

I just sold my E36 5lug conversion using similar parts. I was running DSII's x 8.5's w/ 245/35/17 on all four corner with no spacers. I believe the offset is around the same as your wheels. You might need a 2-3mm spacer in the front as the clearance for my front was enough to slide a credit card through.

Comment

Hi Abe

If you use front e36 M3 suspension and rear 318Ti hubs, then the et40 wheels are fine. The 318Ti hubs push the whels about 20mm outward, therefore they also act as spacers. Your et40 wheels become et20 whch is perfect for the rear wheels.

In the front you will need eccentric control arm bushings to move the wheel to the front,or they might touch the footwell when turning.

Hope it helped.

Lee
      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Thank you for the responses guys! My mind is at ease now. For now I will play it safe and run 235s, although I do not know if I should go 235/40/17 or 235/35/17?

Thanks,

-Abe.

Comment

Ok, update. The rears are fine, they fit the kosei k1s (40 offset). The fronts still need spacers tho, so i couldn't put the k1s on.. I put the M contours on instead though, that clears the front strut fine but the front contours are rubbing on the inside at full lock to lock, will bigger spacers fix this? I'm thinking about 20 mm spacers? I have pulled fenders so it wont be too much of a problem.

-Abe.

Comment

And does anybody know what the "Ideal" offset is for my setup?

M3 front suspension/brake setup, including THR offset CABS.

and 318ti rear susp/brake setup.

Comment

The "ideal" offset is what ever works!!

When you are at the limit of space, a different brand of tyre could throw out the best made plans.

FWIW
              I ran the same setup you mention all be it with 17x8" et38
              So interms of the outside edge they sat 4mm in from your 17x8.5" et40 K1's.

I ran Conti SPII's in 245/40 with only the rear lips rolled (not pulled) with no rubbing.
              So "technically" if you ran 235/40's the tread should sit 1mm inside (5mm narrower each side) a 245/40.
              Now we all know how much "actual" tyre widths vary, thus making all the technical number stuff above completely theoretical and useless, but is at least a "GUIDE" to work with.
              So take from that what ever you need to make your own decision.

Re: the front.
              I ran the same wheels/tyres mentioned above and had the same rubbing on the inside at full lock, I installed some steering stops from Turner and this worked a treat.
              I'm now running 15mm spacers upfront and -3.7d camber and the front fenders are untouched, I haven't rechecked if I can remove/reduce the steering stops, but I suspect it will still rub some without them.
              292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti View Post
                The "ideal" offset is what ever works!!

When you are at the limit of space, a different brand of tyre could throw out the best made plans.

FWIW
                I ran the same setup you mention all be it with 17x8" et38
                So interms of the outside edge they sat 4mm in from your 17x8.5" et40 K1's.

I ran Conti SPII's in 245/40 with only the rear lips rolled (not pulled) with no rubbing.
                So "technically" if you ran 235/40's the tread should sit 1mm inside (5mm narrower each side) a 245/40.
                Now we all know how much "actual" tyre widths vary, thus making all the technical number stuff above completely theoretical and useless, but is at least a "GUIDE" to work with.
                So take from that what ever you need to make your own decision.

Re: the front.
                I ran the same wheels/tyres mentioned above and had the same rubbing on the inside at full lock, I installed some steering stops from Turner and this worked a treat.
                I'm now running 15mm spacers upfront and -3.7d camber and the front fenders are untouched, I haven't rechecked if I can remove/reduce the steering stops, but I suspect it will still rub some without them.

Thank you my man.

I purchased 20 mm for the fronts, i don't have camberplates yet but i plan on getting those soon, i have pulled fenders so i'll be fine now i think. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, where did you get your extended bolts for your spacers?

-Abe.

Comment

Originally posted by loonibab325i View Post
                  Thank you my man.

I purchased 20 mm for the fronts, i don't have camberplates yet but i plan on getting those soon, i have pulled fenders so i'll be fine now i think. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, where did you get your extended bolts for your spacers?

-Abe.
                  Not a prob :)

I got "Rouge Engineering" spacers, which came with the longer wheel bolts, Will be getting a set of Vorshlag 90mm race studs shortly, bolts suck!!
                  292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Working...
                  X