M3 E30 vs E36 318ti rear trailing arms offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 E30 vs E36 318ti rear trailing arms offset

Was wondering what's the offset for both. We know the 318ti trailing arms put, more out the "wheels" and you need higher offset values to fit correctly a wheel. If you want to go with deep dish wheels, most likely the hweels wills tick out of the fender. Now with the e30 m3 trailing arms this won't happen, at least it will let you install wheels with lower offset wich turns out in more "deeper dish/lip" right?

There might be a option that I can get cheap the rear e30 m3 trailing arms. So far I have the front of a e36 with offset CAB's 97+ E36 M3 control arms , vorshlag camber plates and custom drilled (to get more negative caster) control arms eye base.

So basically I would like to run my front suspension like it is right now and install the rear e30 m3 trailing arms...would be a good idea?

Thanks for any input.
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

The only thing different with e30 m3 rear trailing arms are the drive flanges, brake carriers & calipers & backing plates & rotors. All e30 trailing arms are the same part #, maybe with the exception of the IX's (which I am unsure of the IX part # cross reference)

EDIT -- All of which can be bought brand new with the exception of the brake calipers which cross reference with e32 735i rear brake calipers...
    Last edited by atomic; 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

The drive flange, then...has less offset for e30 m3.
      Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

I would assume so, although I do not know what the offset of it is but probably is the same offset as any other e30 trailing arm. My point is if you can not get a set of used complete e30 m3 trailing arms that you can buy new parts with the exception of the brake calipers, but the are the same as e32 735i brake calipers which can easily be obtained.

And the IX's trailing arms are the same part #'s as well...

I don't see a problem with the way you want to run your suspension but I am not 100% on that either. Maybe someone else will chime in on if that is a good idea or not.

Comment

By the way, both are interchangables? The drive flange

Comment

Yes a e30 M3 rear drive flange will work on any e30 rear trailing arm.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
              Yes a e30 M3 rear drive flange will work on any e30 rear trailing arm.

Great! Now, what I will need in case I get the drive flanges only are the discs and caliper of the e30 m3, hopefully is there with the trailing arms.

Thanks

Comment

Keep an eye out at www.s14.net and every once and awhile you will see brake calipers and carriers FS. The brake carriers can still be bought new but are about $185 each and the calipers are NLA but do cross reference with e32 735 rear brake calipers which can be picked up all day long on ebay for about $40 each.

I was able to pick up used rear carriers and calipers for $200 shipped just recently...

Comment

Caliper mounts are NLA from BMW. I tried ordering a set for the rear of my car when I put mine together.
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                    Caliper mounts are NLA from BMW. I tried ordering a set for the rear of my car when I put mine together.

Really?? I was assuming since pelican parts says that part # is a special order item that it was available. Maybe then they are NLA since you couldn't get them. I never quoted that part since I located used parts.

Diegom6 Maybe you should double check before getting to involved with ordering flanges and other parts to do the swap then.

Comment

I will atomic, I will.... now what means NLA?

Comment

NLA = no longer available
                        I had my parts guy at the dealer search for them and he came up with nothing.
                        My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Back to your original question Diego.

IIRC the offset difference is ~18mm.

ie. using the Ti trailing arms you use say 17x8" et38 wheels, with the E30 M3, E36 M Coupe and E28 trailing arms you need et20 wheels for them to be in the same place, et38's still fit but sit further inwards.
                          292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

E36 M's have the same offsets as their TI counterparts.
                            My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti View Post
                              E36 M Coupe
                              Not a E36 M3 Coupe!!!
                              292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Working...
                              X