Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few questions on a 5lug swap

Hello,

I think I just purchased everything I need but I would like to confirm this.

Front:

99 M3 coilovers, hubs, brakes

Rear:

318ti trailing arms with hubs, brakes, half shafts

Is there more that I need?

TIA,
    Fernando
    ~Fernando

On the front you might want to get the e36 CA's and some camber plates with castor adjustment since you are using e36 bits.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
      On the front you might want to get the e36 CA's and some camber plates with castor adjustment since you are using e36 bits.

I have the 99 M3 control arms and some KMAC camber plates for an 99 M3. Do I need camber plates for an e30 or will the ones I have work?

Other than that, am I set to go?

Thanks!!
      ~Fernando

Comment

I dont THINK the e36 ones will work. I havent gone that route as I am a firm beleiver in keeping the suspension geometry correct without having to adjust it to be neutral. They might work however, trial and error.
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, so I'm pretty much set for this swap except for the plates. Should I be changing any bushings prior to this install?

Again, sorry if my questions are dumb....
          ~Fernando

Comment

Control arm bushings (m3 solid offset, or treehouse's eyeball bushings to clear for 24v exhaust.

Trailing arm bushings as well, and you will have to run 17" wheels if you are using e36 m3 brakes. and e36 offset.
            sigpic

Comment

Ok, I will swap those bushing out.

Now, about the wheels....I want to run a set of 18" et 13 and 20. Can this be done or did I just open a can of worms?
              ~Fernando

Comment

You will have some fitment issues with those wheels at that low of an offset. Plannin on some fender modifications? :)
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not scared of some rubbin.....haha. Yeah, I'll roll/pull if I have to. If not, I'll sell my wheels and get something with proper fitment. You have bbs rs?
                  ~Fernando

Comment

The wheels in my pic are bbs rs. 16x8 et11. BUT thats on e30 m3 brakes and susp.

Pull up my last members rides thread for more pics.
                    sigpic

Comment

another question...

How do I lower the rear suspension? Do I buy ti lowering springs and sport shocks? Or do I buy E30 325ic springs and shocks?

Remember, I have ti trailing arms.....
                      ~Fernando

Comment

Since you are using e36 bits for a 5 lug swap. You can ONLY use e36 wheel offsets ie et41 to clear without issues. Any offset wheel like you are planning will take huge efforts to gain clearance at the fender lips. Even more so with it lowered. And will likely be more than just "some rubbin" too after making as much room as you can for "said" wheels...

Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                          Since you are using e36 bits for a 5 lug swap. You can ONLY use e36 wheel offsets ie et41 to clear without issues. Any offset wheel like you are planning will take huge efforts to gain clearance at the fender lips. Even more so with it lowered. And will likely be more than just "some rubbin" too after making as much room as you can for "said" wheels...

Good luck...

Thanks! I realize I will need to fender work done. I just hope that rolling and flaring ill be enough.

As far as lowering the rear goes....Do I want some ti rear springs or do I get E30 springs? Any info woud be great as I want to do all my swap ASAP....

Thanks again!
                          ~Fernando

Comment

Originally posted by platanos View Post
                            Thanks! I realize I will need to fender work done. I just hope that rolling and flaring ill be enough.

As far as lowering the rear goes....Do I want some ti rear springs or do I get E30 springs? Any info woud be great as I want to do all my swap ASAP....

Thanks again!

I really have no clue on what springs you will need. I would assume you would want e30 springs because they were made for the rates your car is. And the e36 ones might be rated completely different. I however have no idea if the e30 springs will mount into a e36 ti trailing arm though. Maybe someone else will chime in that has done this or maybe search for some others suspension setup in that sticky thread that says what they used. Or PM them and ask??

Good Luck...

Comment

You will use e30 springs on the ti trailing arms.

What are the exact specs on the wheels you WANT to run? Chances are that by the looks of it, you will have to do more than rolling and pulling to fit in your wheel choice.

18 x ???

You would be more likely able to run those wheels on a proper e30 m3 setup, and still have to massage the fenders out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X