DIY - e30 Suspension onto e36 Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - e30 Suspension onto e36 Struts

I got this done a couple weeks ago but haven't got around to writing this...here ya go simple, to the point and with plenty of 56k safe pics (who uses 56k nowadays anywayS!?)

This is basically an e30 strut modification with the difference that you won't shorten the struts. That, IMO, will cause bigger rims to rub, not allow you to play with wheel offsets and most important, not able to keep the ///M sway link attachment.

If you want to play, you need the following:
    pair of e36 struts (blown okay)
    pair of e30 strut casings
    Your current e30 suspension - coilovers, shocks, hats, plates etc etc

Things you need to fabricate (will explain later, measurements etc):
    Remove shock "insert" from e36 strut: DIY-> http://youtube.com/watch?v=qzNZCnUYtzo
    Cut e36 spring perch, grind down, make even, clean.
    Steel Tube Spacer
    Transfer Collar nut section from e30 strut
    Coilover sleeve

Tools you should have:
    Angle grinder
    Pipe cutter - not necesary but sure as hell helped make some straight cuts!!
    Welder - you can get them welded elsewhere too.

Okay, measurements are as follow...i iterated a bunch of solutions using excel and decided that this was the best option.

Tube Spacer: 9.2cm
    Collar nut section: 3.4-3.5cm measured from the top of the e30 strut withOUT the collar nut
    Coilover sleeve: Total lengh of 11cm

Make these parts first, measure twice, cut once!!!!

Notice e36 struts and e30 struts are different diameters....close call.
    First step, PREP YOUR METAL FOR WELDING! i'm not a good welder so i had a friend do this for me.

Place spacer, shock and collar nut on the e36 strut. Match up but threading the collar nut untill you're happy and get ready to tack them together.

its nice to have your two russian girls cook you an incredible meal while you work so hard:
    no, that is not me...i'm taking the pic

tack struts together and remove your shock. you don't want to damage it.

Finish your welds, make sure they are strong, ugly and go all the way through!

This is with the sleeve on and the collar nut adjusted.. this is just to show you that my measurements are okay. i had to take them apart to put the adjustable perch, spring etc etc. your welcome!

Coilovers assembled, compressed and checked for play. They are installed and work great ;) ....

Suggestions and corrections much appreciated. O yeah, don't forget the rustoleum to protect from rust!

i owe you a pic of them on a car....thing is the car has no engine, so as soon as i put it in, and do the rear 318ti + e30 suspension, i'll post a pic

-etxx
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

thanks man, i was waiting on this as soon as you mentioned it in that other thread.

Now i have a question, Is it possible to use the rear E36 hub assembly, IF you could find another(non bmw) correct bearing.
    There is a massive bearing supply place 20 min from my house. I wonder if they would have a bearing with the E30 OD and E36 ID.

Or am i completely off base with E36 hub offset?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
      thanks man, i was waiting on this as soon as you mentioned it in that other thread.

Now i have a question, Is it possible to use the rear E36 hub assembly, IF you could find another(non bmw) correct bearing.
      There is a massive bearing supply place 20 min from my house. I wonder if they would have a bearing with the E30 OD and E36 ID.

Or am i completely off base with E36 hub offset?

I would assume the offset is going to play murder with you and even make mounting brakes difficult too... Providing you can even find a bearing that will allow you to do what you are looking to do. I could be wrong
      Last edited by atomic; 07-08-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

to be honest, i have no idea and i wouln't want to the first to try it specially since they are not cheap.
        No more e30s for me.
        91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

ive got a set of E36 M3 rear hub assemblys. Im just wondering what the OD is on the hub. As opposed to the OD on the E30 hub(non-M of coarse)
          sigpic

Comment

....i could get you that number...i have a pair of e30 struts on the garage floor...you can also get an e30 hub at advance auto....measure it, return it....they are great for that kind of stuff!
            No more e30s for me.
            91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Thanks for the write-up man!
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                ....i could get you that number...i have a pair of e30 struts on the garage floor...you can also get an e30 hub at advance auto....measure it, return it....they are great for that kind of stuff!

I think he wants to put rear e36 m3 hubs into the e30 trailing arms with a bearing that will work that he would pick up from a local bearing company.

Comment

yeah, figures....good luck. do what i said if you want to save some $$....now lets not take away from the majesty and quality (ex grammar/language) of my writeup and make your own thread!!
                  No more e30s for me.
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

good writeup. One question though, is there an advantage to this other than reusing your front e30 shocks?

are the E36 struts from an M3 or not?

Comment

yes. and yes... the advantage is that you won't have to spend another $600 on shocks (4x koni top adjs for my particular case) In a sense this mod is only worth doing to those that already have good suspension prior to the 5-lug swap. If you don't you might as well get all e36 components.

as for my measurements. they are right on the money, too bad i don't have pics to show it...black e30 on e36 DSI's = sex
                      No more e30s for me.
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

What is the alignment like? One bit of hearsay I see around is that the E36 front struts fuck up the castor... is this true? I know the offset bushings can help but that undoes any good they do to begin with.

Comment

caster is good now with the 96+ CA.s. the alignment WILL be fine. i have about 30degrees of toe, but it is my mistake for not measuring correctly. i'm using the e36 balljoints too ...my car is officially more of an e36 than an e30
                          No more e30s for me.
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Im looking into a 5 lug swap on my e30, ive got a set of e36 front struts coming to me i think, on top of that i will need e36 tierod ends or can the e30 ends be reused? also my e30 suspension has H&R sport springs and bilstien shocks.. can that stuff be transplanted over to the e36 strut housing using a similar method to this? i dont wanna have to go out and buy all new springs and shocks just to get 5 lug wheels...

Also some of you posted about one-off bearings for the rear. thats not needed according to some info i came across on another thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=131650
                            if you have an early E30 you will need hubs and bearings from a 318ti or a 4cyl. Z3. if you have a newer e30 (i think 87 or 88 and up) they use a larger bearing and those cars will need the Z3 6cyl. hubs and bearings in the rear.
                            I think a 318Ti caliper bracket is all thats needed to mount any e36 caliper to the rear suspension. rotors im not sure about, i suppose Z3 rotors are the ticket.

Also alot of guys say not to do the E36 front strut swap because it heavily alters the camber angles. can this be fixed with adjustable plates on top of the struts?

im not really going for a big expensive swap, i just wanna be able to get the more common 5 lug wheels on there because i have access to rims (i work at a dealership) and also i would be getting bigger brakes at the same time

Comment

ok, no lie, but I've never seen this thread before, and what I'm doing is 1 for 1 exactly the same thing. How odd.

Comment

Working...
                              X