No announcement yet.

Z3 A-trailing arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to use stock axles with z3 trailing arms. Spindle is welded to trailing arms are 1 3/8" further out. You can measure that from shock pickup to caliper carrier pickups.

So, the best way to do this, it to grab z3 hubs, back plates and brakes, and plug it all into e30 trailing arm. Benefits are numerous, but among those, you get to keep your stock ABS in the rear.

Comment

Would it not be far easier to just put on some E30 M3 hubs onto the E30 trailing arms?!?

Comment

Yes it would be... BUT, z3 trailing arms+hubs+calipers+rotors are cheaper than e30 M3 hubs alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
          IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to use stock axles with z3 trailing arms. Spindle is welded to trailing arms are 1 3/8" further out. You can measure that from shock pickup to caliper carrier pickups.

So, the best way to do this, it to grab z3 hubs, back plates and brakes, and plug it all into e30 trailing arm. Benefits are numerous, but among those, you get to keep your stock ABS in the rear.
          so what offset wheel is going to be needed then?-- or is it easier to just use the complete Z3 rear axle if I have the Z3 shafts too???

Comment

I tried multiple wheels, I tried one stock e46 wheel with ET46, and even then it was poking a slight bit.

Right now I have z3 hubs pressed into e30 arms and running ET15 wheels, I'll have pics up really soon.

Comment

did you use the Z3 caliper brackets then too??? I guess thats what I am going to do then-- easier to get e30 shafts if one does break.

Comment

yup, used z3/318ti caliper brackets. They are the same.

However I used standard e36 calipers, instead of z3 ones. They are almost identical, the only difference was location of the hose. All in all, I am happy with the set-up, and you're right, e30 axles are a LOT easier to find than z3 ones, I tried. Only option was to pick up a pair of new ones or drive to the end of earth for them. E30 axles cost nothing.

Comment

Style 65 replicas ET15

With z3 trailing arms

With z3 hubs in e30 trailing arms

Comment

I want some comments, how do you like the wheels?

Comment

one more question. will the stock e30 325i calipers bolt/fit on the e36 Z3 caliper brackets, or do I need to use e36 calipers on the rear?
                      disregard-- got me the Z3 rear calipers today.
                      Last edited by mikeedler; 02-28-2009, 02:25 PM.

Comment

back from the dead....
                        Did you ever take measurements of the z3 trailing arms...I'm wondering how much farther out do they protrude compared to the stock e30 trailing arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8
                          Seriously. Every black wheel, regardless of spoke design, looks the same from more than 3 feet away.

Comment

Working...
                          X