95 vs 96+ Front lower control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 vs 96+ Front lower control arms

So there really is a difference? We are talking about the actual arm right and not the bushing.

I have a set of 95 arms with 20k miles on them and I would LOVE to not have to buy 96+ M3 arms.
    Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
    Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
    Julian 848-248-8029

IIRC arms are same, it's the bushing that is different (offset) but idk
    Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

The 96+ M3 uses an arm with slightly different geometry. The inner ball joint and rear of the "boomerang" are the same, but the outer ball joint is moved forward approximately 10mm. This arm is intended for use with a centered control arm bushing to achieve the same static caster as the 95 M3 arm+ bushing combination. Somebody take some measurements so we can talk about the plan view!

Taken from
      C-C_Wiki: E36 BMWs Are Like Legos

Technically with the offset bushing and a 95 arm it should be fine. They both end up in the same place.
      Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Yes there is a difference.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
          Yes there is a difference.
          ^^^^^^
          he's right. the 96+ arms have a different diameter shaft where the arm goes into bushing. they will not work with E30 bushings or eyeball arms.
          Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
          Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

And you are wrong. I have e30 eyeball arms on 96+ m3 arms. The difference is in the location of the outer ball joint, as the quote in post 3 states.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
              Originally posted by C-C_wiki
              The 96+ M3 uses an arm with slightly different geometry. The inner ball joint and rear of the "boomerang" are the same, but the outer ball joint is moved forward approximately 10mm. This arm is intended for use with a centered control arm bushing to achieve the same static caster as the 95 M3 arm+ bushing combination. Somebody take some measurements so we can talk about the plan view!
              Taken from
              C-C_Wiki: E36 BMWs Are Like Legos

Whoa. I wrote that paragraph like 5 years ago in a post on Beanerforums. I didnt even know there was an e36 wiki.

So I guess that gives me street cred.

Here is the complete deal, and what it has to do with e30s:

The 95-99 e36M3 has the outer ball joint set forward compared to every other control arm (e30, e36, are interchangeable)

The 95 M3 bushing is just like an e30 M3, and is offset to swing the arm forward. Essentially a 96 control arm sets the wheel exactly where a e30 (or 95M3) and an offset bushing sets the wheel.

Now here is the e30 part: To center the wheel in the wheelwell on an e30 with e36 M3 spindles, you need to go forward TWICE. Once 10mm forward from the offset e30M3 bushing, and forward again with the 96-99 M3 control arm.

By the way Ground Control makes a special strut for an e30 with e36 suspension that has geometry modified to fix bumpsteer, the correct abs tabs for e30 sensors, and a sway bar tab like an e30 M3. You can go to the Ground Control website and go to the e30 section to see the complete kit.

Jay

PS all the e30 and e36 have 20mm studs on the back. E46 is different, but can be bolted in with a lot of work but some very trick championship winning geometry.
              Last edited by Hellabad; 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM.
              Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
              Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
              Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
                Whoa. I wrote that paragraph like 5 years ago in a post on Beanerforums. I didnt even know there was an e36 wiki.

So I guess that gives me street cred.

Here is the complete deal, and what it has to do with e30s:

The 95-99 e36M3 has the outer ball joint set forward compared to every other control arm (e30, e36, are interchangeable)

The 95 M3 bushing is just like an e30 M3, and is offset to swing the arm forward. Essentially a 96 control arm sets the wheel exactly where a e30 (or 95M3) and an offset bushing sets the wheel.

Now here is the e30 part: To center the wheel on an e30 with e36 M3 spindles, you to go forward twice. Once 10mm forward from the offset e30M3 bushing, and forward again with the 96-99 M3 control arm.

By the way Ground Control makes a special strut for an e30 with e36 suspension that has geometry modified to fix bumpsteer, the correct abs tabs for e30 sensors, and a sway bar tab like an e30 M3. You can go to the Ground Control website and go to the e30 section to see the complete kit.

Jay

PS all the e30 and e36 have 20mm studs on the back. E46 is different, but can be bolted in with a lot of work but some very trick championship winning geometry.
                NICE!

Thanks for the info, this is the first post I have read that has really described what is going on with the e30 5 lug swap.

So 96+ w/ eyeball arms it is.

Thanks for the help.
                Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Hm, what is the kit called? I can't find it, or maybe I am blind?

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                    Hm, what is the kit called? I can't find it, or maybe I am blind?
                    Crap. Store links broken, I will have it fixed in a couple of hours.

Thanks for letting me know

jay
                    Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                    Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.

Comment

Here are the pics I took +4yrs ago.

E30 Vs +96 E36 M3 arms.
                      The E30 arms have the same geometry as all other E30/36 arms except the +96 M3.

Got sick or reiterating the information over and over.

It seems a bit odd for GC to do a 'special strut' when they sell these that give the same result!?

292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

I wonder if I could build an adapter to just push the control arm out 10mm.. HMMM
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti View Post

It seems a bit odd for GC to do a 'special strut' when they sell these that give the same result!?
                          We very cleverly kill two birds with one stone, plus I don't like to use the race rod end kit on street cars.

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
                          I wonder if I could build an adapter to just push the control arm out 10mm.. HMMM
                          Forward 10, not outward 10. You could maybe do it, but it would be tricky.

Jay
                          Last edited by Hellabad; 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM.
                          Ground Control Gallery

Comment

Im going to have a lollipop off tonight, Ill take some dimensions and get a drawing in acad and see how much space I have left. The kicker would be if there is enough vertical space against the body to keep the lollipop in the correct place.
                            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
                              Whoa.

Please tell me more about the E46 control arms, and what the differences are, and what mods are required.

Any links to esisting threads will be fine even.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X