My new project: 5 lug with E36 parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new project: 5 lug with E36 parts

I saw this project on e30.de and on a BMW show i talked with the owner of the page who did this. Its an alternative to the e30 m3 parts.

Pro:

- you find a lot of e36 parts.. and the spare parts are cheaper.
    - big brake for low costs.
    - cheap and a lot of e36 rims
    - robust suspension for bit engines
    - adjustable collapse

Contra:

- E36 Compact axes with disc brakes are very hard to find
    - you can only drive rims with an offset of 35-47

Installing:

First of all the easiest is the install of the compact axes. They fit perfect. But you have to use some with discs. If you install some of the 323ti you also have to change the shaft drives. I paid for mine 150 Euro (180 US$)

The front is a little bit difficult. First of all find some axes for the front of the normal E36 (not M3, because then you can only use the M3 brake). I found a new set on ebay for cheap. Both sides 90 Euro (100 US$).
    Now you need a E36 winding suspension. The normal spring sluts don't fit because they are too big at the top. An alternative is a M3 E36 suspension with E30 springs.

Then buy a set of E36 bearings and drill the 3 holes for your struts. (E36 holes are different).

Then you have to buy the transverse control arm from the E36 M3 3.2. Only with those you get a wheel which is central of the fender. Furthermore you need bizzare bearings for your transverse control arms from the M3 E30.

At least you have a big choice of brakes. I would prefer the 300mm brake from the E46 328i. Very cheap if you need spare parts and at www.300mm.de you can buy the whole system new for 349 Euro (400 US$).

now some pictures:

*** For sale: euro stuff, BBS steering wheels, smoked tail lights, bunch of rare wheels (5x120 and 4x100) ***

[/color]

awesome, nice work
    Dan

Comment

its not my car but i want to do the same :)
      *** For sale: euro stuff, BBS steering wheels, smoked tail lights, bunch of rare wheels (5x120 and 4x100) ***

[/color]

Comment

oh, i thought this was a done project... hehe :oops:
        i say go for it, your talking about the touring hu? i didnt even think.... well, good luck and keep us posted!
        Dan

Comment

yes i will put it in my touring but first i have to ask the TUV

[/color]

Comment

are the e36 ti offsets the same as e30 m3?

Comment

no.

the wheels will still not fit in the center of the wheel well using both offset control arms and offset e30 m3 bushings

Comment

Thanks for posting, Nico. I stumbled across the write-up on e30.de a few days ago, the pics were great and helpful to me, but I wasn't able to read any of it (German). I have been compiling parts to do an E36 5-lug swap on my E30 as well, using E36 325i front/318ti rear components.

Good luck with your swap

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                  no.

the wheels will still not fit in the center of the wheel well using both offset control arms and offset e30 m3 bushings
                  they fit... the owner of the gold cabrio tried it. :roll:

@stu mc

are those 318ti parts available in usa because i've never seen a compact in the usa.

[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by AC Nico
                    no.

@stu mc

are those 318ti parts available in usa because i've never seen a compact in the usa.
                    Yea, they're available. BMW sold the compact (only 318ti) in the US from '95-'99 I believe. My dad picked his up in '94, was of the first in the US. :)

I have a full set of 'ti rear brakes, and one hub. I still need to find another hub though. Bryson, do you know prices on 'ti rear hubs and wheel bearings?

Comment

no.

@stu mc

He has it done too. Wheels still don't fit in the wells worth a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by trent
                        no.

@stu mc

This went the wrong direction, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the wheel offsets, like will the e36 wheels work, and look right, with e30 m3 front suspension and e36 ti in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                          Originally posted by trent
                          no.

@stu mc

This went the wrong direction, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the wheel offsets, like will the e36 wheels work, and look right, with e30 m3 front suspension and e36 ti in the rear.
                          your offsets will be very different that way, you'll need ~20mm front spacers

by the way, I walk out of my house every day to an e30 with e36 5 lug, Nico ;)

edit: Stu, I'd imagine that the 'ti hubs wouldn't be any more than an e30 m3 ($200 per hub) and I think the wheels bearings come in at $30-40

Comment

bryson make some pictures :D

which parts does he has at the front? also e36?

[/color]

Comment

I e-mailed you, Nico

Comment

Working...
                              X