e36 front shock travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 front shock travel?

I am currently running stock 4-lug w/ GC, stock length Konis. I am running 17x7.5 wheels with 235/40/17 tires, offset is at et25 in the front (stock e30 strut), and I have IE Camber plates. the tires are also very close to the spring adjuster with about 3cm left of height adjustment, although any lower and the spring/adjuster would rub the tire.

I don't have much travel, and as the vehicle sits, and I'm pretty close to, if not already riding the bump stop.

I have a 5 lug conversion (95 e36m struts, ti rears), but I am worried about front shock travel. My car is daily driven, and sees the track about 8-10 times a year.

I have no problem cutting/welding the struts to fit the stock e30 length konis, and I could also do the same for g60 inserts, but....

Is there an insert I can use to gain more travel, like those with the nub at the bottom which accepts a bolt or something of the sort? and does the sway bar attachment point pose a problem with any shorter insert?

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

gc camber plates will net you more travel
    90 E30 325i

Comment

one option is the ix shock. its a few inches shorter
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
        I am currently running stock 4-lug w/ GC, stock length Konis. I am running 17x7.5 wheels with 235/40/17 tires, offset is at et25 in the front (stock e30 strut), and I have IE Camber plates. the tires are also very close to the spring adjuster with about 3cm left of height adjustment, although any lower and the spring/adjuster would rub the tire.

I don't have much travel, and as the vehicle sits, and I'm pretty close to, if not already riding the bump stop.

I have a 5 lug conversion (95 e36m struts, ti rears), but I am worried about front shock travel. My car is daily driven, and sees the track about 8-10 times a year.

The suspension travel available (from ride height to bumpstop) is almost exactly the same from e30 to e36M strut conversion.(Within 4mm) So, if you need short struts on an e30, you will need short e36 struts on a bastard conversion.

I have no problem cutting/welding the struts to fit the stock e30 length konis,

The e30 konis will be too long for the e36 (because the bottom is farther from the spindle)

and I could also do the same for g60 inserts, but....
        there are better choices for the conversion, and a G60 or 325ix will give you more travel, but there is no way to bolt it into a stock e36 housing. The e36 is held together by crimping over the top of the strut housing, compared to the e30 which has a big replaceable nut on top of the housing that holds in whatever you put in there.

Is there an insert I can use to gain more travel, like those with the nub at the bottom which accepts a bolt or something of the sort?
        No, not really. There may be a "cut n gut" insert that is the correct length, but the diameters are all very specific, and the inside of the e36 housing is a lttle bit unusual.

and does the sway bar attachment point pose a problem with any shorter insert?
        No, just use e30 M3 length sway bar links, buy ones that are 10mm studs like stock, rather than 3/8 American which is wrong size (but a lot of places sell them and don't care that its the wrong size)

I recommend you look at raising the water rather than lowering bridge aka camber plate thickness (NOT "stack height" but actual available suspension travel)

Jay Morris
        Last edited by Hellabad; 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM.
        Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
        Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
        Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
          there are better choices for the conversion, and a G60 or 325ix will give you more travel, but there is no way to bolt it into a stock e36 housing. The e36 is held together by crimping over the top of the strut housing, compared to the e30 which has a big replaceable nut on top of the housing that holds in whatever you put in there.
          kinda right...

the IX doesn't have a bolt on the bottom like say the Koni's so you can't just bolt the shock in that way. BUT you can cut the threaded part off your e30 housing and weld it to the top of the e36 m3 shock after you remove the internals. And basically have the same thing as the e30 housing for a e36.
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Working...
          X