another possibility for 5 stud ?

I was just thinking....
    Maybe i'm plain wrong....
    why not just:
    1. take stock e30 hub
    2. plug 4x100 holes with professional tig weld
    3. clean it up (on a lathe)
    4. redrill to whatever you want
    5. replace disc with 5x120 (eg audi a3 turbo 288x25 front disc)

done...
    no need for parts from differen't m3... as in some parts of the world m3 parts ar impossible to come by.

No, not a possibility.

Comment

is it because the welding wont be as stong as the real thing ?

it's not neccesery to plug all holes, just this one thats interfeering with original one...

Comment

Originally posted by mops View Post
        is it because the welding wont be as stong as the real thing ?

it's not neccesery to plug all holes, just this one thats interfeering with original one...
        Diameter is not large enough and welding on a hub is a no-no.

Comment

Go ahead, do it, let us know how that turns out.......if you live to tell us about it
          -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed View Post
            Diameter of the hub is the same, and it is a possibility. It has been done. e36 rear rotor is the same in all dimensions to e30 except for being 272mm instead of 258. If you do that to the hub, and on a lathe shave down extra meat off of e36 rotor, you can have 5 lugs and keep e30 brakes.

Don't mind unimaginative people here, tig-welds are as strong as your welding skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
              Diameter of the hub is the same.
              You don't have to believe, but the e30 front hub diameter is only few mm's more than 120 mm... if it was doable, "everyone" would have them.

Also there are "ribs" on the opposite side of the mounting falge where the holes are.
              Last edited by Rocla; 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM.
              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
              BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
              BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I'm thinking about it because rigth now i'm researching big brakw/wheel setup.

i found some good brake discs.
                Citroen Xantia runs very similar font disc and it's 4x108 (i really dislike 5 stud redrilled to 4 stud), and it's 288x28
                also, peugot 406 coupe runs.... 305x28 also 4x108

also i'm researching other option, like r32 skyline runs i think 280x28 in 4x114

but for the rear it would have to be redrilled e36 or e46 rear disc....

i know that 300mm.de sells modified e28 wheel hub that fits to e30, but i'm unsure what the modifications are. it i's just turned on a lathe then it's doable.... i got some *limited* access to machine shop and i can get pro welder to do all the welding i need...

Comment

good luck on that, why not just get someone to fab a hub for you better then putting your life on the line for a weld up 5 lug conversion? weld might hold now but what about later on? just my

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed View Post
                    Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                    You don't have to believe, but the e30 front hub diameter is only few mm's more than 120 mm... if it was doable, "everyone" would have them.

Also there are "ribs" on the opposite side of the mounting falge where the holes are.
                    Sorry, I was only talking about rear. Front should still be e36 setup. It makes no economical sense to mess with front. E36 crap is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                    X