5 lug swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug swap questions

I'm thinking spring in upstate NY and stuck home reading threads about 5 lug swaps.........Who still offers swap kits? It seems reading through the threads they come and go? In addition it appears that the rear conversion is pretty straightforward using Z3/Z4 hubs and existing spindles but the front is all over the place?

I am really happy with my current steering and suspension setup and don't really understand why I can't just get a sleeve that goes over my current front spindle and utilizes some 5 lug hub and bearing out there aready? Why are there so many threads using e36 spindles and struts, or this control arm, with that tie rod etc, etc? I read and read so if this has been beatin to death I appologize, I could't find anything that laid out the answers to my questions so I thought I would ask?

I am using the elcoy 5 lug sleeve kit which I think is the same as the Nasieg one. I'm using Z4 hubs with e46 rotor and e39 caliper in the rear. E36m3 hubs and brakes in the front with the sleeve going over the spindle. The rest is stock e30 parts.

Comment

As mentioned above, the sleeve kits are designed to use the stock e30 strut housing and control arms. There's the Nasieg/Elcoy kits, "Max399" kit (which I think is this one), and 300mm.de offers 5-lug conversion kits as well designed for the stock 4-lug strut assembly.

The e36-style front 5-lug is the one that requires different spindles & control arms. To get better caster, you have to use e36 m3 front spindles, 96+ e36 m3 control arms, and offset control arm bushing. Since the e36 strut bolts onto the e36 spindle, you have to use e36-style front struts as well. I did see this recently, which is said to correct the caster issue and let you use standard e30/e36 control arms and non-M e36 front spindles.

Comment

Cool.....Then I want one of the sleeve kits so I can utilize all my existing struts and knuckles and just have to get new hubs and brakes.......Awesome...... There seemed to be alot of conflicting info out there.......SO... what is the upside of buying e36 m3 control arms, spindles and struts, I would think that stuff is getting hard to find? If you already have good e30 stuff the sleeve kits seem like a no brainer?

Comment

I think the upside of the e36 m3 5-lug swap was that it was a cost-effective alternative to sourcing a complete e30 m3 5-lug setup (rare, extra pricey). The e36 front 5-lug is also usually paired with 318ti rear trailing arms to complete the swap, which were parts often available cheap at junkyards.

As time has gone on though, the e36 m3 parts have become a little harder to come by and more expensive, particularly the control arms. The sleeve conversions seemed to have more gained popularity in the last few years as they give you the benefit of larger OEM brake options, correct suspension geometry, and allow you to use a lot of the lower offset OEM wheel choices.

Comment

Thanks mtech...makes sense. Are there currently any trusted vendors here that are selling sleeve kits that you are aware of?

Comment

If they have them in stock, looks like you can get the elcoy/nasieg 5-lug from here.

Comment

Working...
              X