CV's how long will they go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV's how long will they go

How logn will the CV joints generally last as far as mileage after they start ticking....? im just looking for an average estimate, b/c i cant get time to fix it for another month. Do i need to look for alternative transportation methods? or will it hold up if i go gentle on her?

Russell
    1987 325is
    1992 240sx coupe
    1994 525i

anyone know?

Russell
    1987 325is
    1992 240sx coupe
    1994 525i

Comment

Sorry don't make it a habit to drive them to that point, just go easy and get it done ASAP.
      E30 325ix 62k

Comment

i wont, it wasnt my intension....im in college....2 hours away from home, i knew they needed to be replaced, but i just dont have time. I will do it ASAP..... i hate beign 2 hours away form my shop =(.... can't really fix my rearend in an appartment parkign lot :oops:

Russell
        1987 325is
        1992 240sx coupe
        1994 525i

Comment

They can vary greatly depending on how you drive them. Lost of jackrabbit starts they can blow in under 200k easy. Be nice and they can outlast the car. Its just a matter of when the cage that holds the bearings in finally gives way.

Of course this relies on the boots not being destroyed. If the boot is destroyed then crap can get in and bind the bearings causing them to fail differently.

You dont want them to pop so unless you can replace them drive nice. They are a friggin mess if the CV explodes.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

yea, the boot IS torn =( and its ticking alot, i know its on the go, i have replacements, along wtha adiff, subframe busings, and trailing arm bushings....i know its on the fritz i just wantted to know how long they will last after the ticking starts. the soonest i can replace them is the 3rd week in march =(, unlessi go for alternative means of transportation...then i can polly pay someone to do it

Russell
            1987 325is
            1992 240sx coupe
            1994 525i

Comment

Then Id suggest you drive like a bitch till then.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

i plan on it

Russell
                1987 325is
                1992 240sx coupe
                1994 525i

Comment

FWIW, I drove like an ass for about 10k miles on a torn CV boot, before I had any idea what I was doing. It made some nasty noises during low speed tight turns. Replaced it shortly after the motor swap.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah torn boots usually give you some warning since the crap in there ruins the bearings slowly.

In my case the cage that contain the bearings exploded ina spectacular fashion leaving the halfshaft flopping around and grease EVERYWHERE.
                    Im now E30less.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                      Yeah torn boots usually give you some warning since the crap in there ruins the bearings slowly.

In my case the cage that contain the bearings exploded ina spectacular fashion leaving the halfshaft flopping around and grease EVERYWHERE.
                      *gulp* thats what im afraid of....

Russell
                      1987 325is
                      1992 240sx coupe
                      1994 525i

Comment

Mine are starting to tick. They're original as far as I know, and have 265K of abuse. What is a fair price on a used set of low-mileage half-shafts? (under 100K)

Comment

Stu, you drive an S50E30. Save up for a set of new ones.
                          Im now E30less.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll do them this summer for sure. Anyone know what a good, used set goes for price-wise?

Comment

Working...
                            X