Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whining/humming that's speed sensitive; suspension advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining/humming that's speed sensitive; suspension advice?

Wheel bearings? Have'tn jacked the car to wiggle the wheels, figured I'd ask before I bothered. Is the wiggle the only way to tell?

Also, I'm putting the bilstein sports/eibachs in soon, should I get new wheel bearings and throw them in while I do it? Where are they cheapest and how much? Never installed bearings before...I assume they're fairly straightforward. Will I need/should I replace anything else while I swap the new springs/shocks? Don't want anything too serious, it's only a summer beater, but while I'm in there....

Thanks guys!

Bad wheel bearings will produce a lot of heat. Feel for a hot wheel (near hub) or brake rotor after a long drive.
    sigpic

Comment

Doing the bearings looks straightforward on paper, but in practice they can be a pain in the ass, especially the rears. I'd wait until they need to be done.
      Figre out which one is bad and just handle it.
      Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by Koony
        Bad wheel bearings will produce a lot of heat. Feel for a hot wheel (near hub) or brake rotor after a long drive.
        Could this be related to that burning smell I keep getting? Hmm...

PS - I have a good set on the parts car - I'm going to take the strut assemblies off, put the bilsteins and eibachs on them, and just swap them into the ES. Kill three birds with one stone :)

Comment

Just buy new front hubs, they are only about $75/side. If you put ones on from a parts car you'll have to change them again soon.

If it's a front wheel bearing making the noise then when you are driving you will hear a difference depending on which way you turn. i.e. if the passenger bearing is bad it will make more noise turning left and the noise will most likely disapear while turning right.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
          1989 325iC M50 Vert
          1989 325i Coupe
          1991 318is
          1995 318ti Club Sport
          2006 330i e90
          2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

I've got something on my car that almost sounds like a bad diff, but it's not constant whining. It's like a "Shh...shh....shh....shh...." intermitant, but varies on speed. If it's my diff i'm going to be hella pissed, supposed to be fine, and sounded fine out of the car.

Comment

^ mine makes a shhhhhhh noise but its consistnet and louder with speed.

Comment

if its sounds like you are driving w/ mud tires and is speed related, your bearings are the cause.

when my rear pax side bearing and half shaft were shot. it sounded like wub-wub-wub-wub-wub.....

if its speed related its suspension
                if its rpm related its drivetrain
                www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

Originally posted by BS87
                  I've got something on my car that almost sounds like a bad diff, but it's not constant whining. It's like a "Shh...shh....shh....shh...." intermitant, but varies on speed. If it's my diff i'm going to be hella pissed, supposed to be fine, and sounded fine out of the car.
                  sounds like your brake dust cover.
                  R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio
                    Originally posted by BS87
                    sounds like your brake dust cover.
                    The backing plate thing that the e-brake set springs(the ones you turn 90 degrees) go into?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominick
                      if its sounds like you are driving w/ mud tires and is speed related, your bearings are the cause.
                      Couldn't have said it better myself - at higher speeds (over 35-40 or so) it sounds like I have mud tires on. I've got a few Jeeps, and that's how they sound with mud tires on too.

PS - well aware of the speed/suspension; rpm/driveline method of troubleshooting :) That's why I first thought of the bearings..

Brodee, I'll have to check the turn situation out - but AFAIK they don't change in turning. And the parts car has brand new bearings - barely 2k miles on them, so I think these will be ok :) It's just going to be my track rat in a few months anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by brodee
                        Just buy new front hubs, they are only about $75/side.
                        So I could just buy a new hub instead of replacing a wheel bearing?
                        Originally posted by Gruelius
                        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                          Yep. Did this on my old 325.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
                            Yep. Did this on my old 325.
                            Well shit, I'll just do that. It seems like it'd be 10x easier and it's only like $15 more LOL.
                            Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

what if its the back?

Comment

Working...
                              X