Need help on handling setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on handling setting

Hi all, I'm facing some problem with my handling. First I'm going to tell a little bit of my car setting right now. I'm using ACS adjustable antiroll bar (3 setting each bar)- front middle hole and rear inner hole/stiffest. H&R sport lowered coil spring, Bilstein yellow sport absorbers. Michelin pilot sport all round 205/50/16 front and 225/45/16 rear. Tire pressure 33psi all round. Tire 1 month new. All round K-Mac adjustable camber/caster/toe kit. Front camber -2.2 degree and rear camber -2.4 degree.
    My problem is when I take high speed (from 80km/h above)corner, have loud noise from the front tires. Could it be my car is understeer? What setting should I set to to solve the problem?
    Thanks

Best Regards,
    OO=[][]=OO
    Calvin Tan
    Eurocar Motorsport - automobile Technik
    www.EurocarMotorsport.com
    www.geocities.com/calvintan_e30

Re: Need help on handling setting

Originally posted by Calvin Tan
    Michelin pilot sport all round 205/50/16 front and 225/45/16 rear. Tire pressure 33psi all round. My problem is when I take high speed (from 80km/h above)corner, have loud noise from the front tires. Could it be my car is understeer? What setting should I set to to solve the problem?
    Not sure about the noise but that tire size combo most definetley is going to cause understeer. A staggered setup may look good but it's going to cause understeer for sure.

I'd try raising your tire pressure as well. 33 seems low, but it depends on what you doing, is this on the track?

James

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
      Michelin pilot sport all round 205/50/16 front and 225/45/16 rear. Tire pressure 33psi all round. My problem is when I take high speed (from 80km/h above)corner, have loud noise from the front tires. Could it be my car is understeer? What setting should I set to to solve the problem?
      Not sure about the noise but that tire size combo most definetley is going to cause understeer. A staggered setup may look good but it's going to cause understeer for sure.

I'd try raising your tire pressure as well. 33 seems low, but it depends on what you doing, is this on the track?

James
      Noise like going to loose traction. For daily drive and fast road.
      Best Regards,
      OO=[][]=OO
      Calvin Tan

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
        that tire size combo most definetley is going to cause understeer. A staggered setup may look good but it's going to cause understeer for sure.
        James
        True, but he also has his rear swaybar on the stiffest setting, which would cause oversteer. Maybey the rear swaybar isn't enough to overcome the staggared tires though.

Try changing the setting of your front swaybar to the softest setting first, because it's free. If that doesn't help, get wider front tires.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
          True, but he also has his rear swaybar on the stiffest setting, which would cause oversteer. Maybey the rear swaybar isn't enough to overcome the staggared tires though.

Try changing the setting of your front swaybar to the softest setting first, because it's free. If that doesn't help, get wider front tires.
          Yeah that's what I was thinking.

This page is a decent resource for basic corrections of over/understeer.

Gives you somewhere to start.

James

Comment

With those parts and settings, handling should be quite capable. Methinks your driving technique may need to be adjusted/developed.

Comment

What is your toe like up front?
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                With those parts and settings, handling should be quite capable. Methinks your driving technique may need to be adjusted/developed.
                wow!!!

Anyway Brew, my front total toe is 2.1mm and rear total toe is 1.8mm.
                Best Regards,
                OO=[][]=OO
                Calvin Tan

Comment

wow!!!
                  LOL, I did think that sounded harsh. But seriously, all your specs add up to a very healthy car.

Comment

wow!!!
                    LOL, I did think that sounded harsh. But seriously, all your specs add up to a very healthy car.
                    Thanks for the input. I received a few comment from a few tire shop here. They ask me to give more negative camber up front, increase tire pressure a little bit on the rear tires. Softer setting for the front antiroll bar. Well I might need to test one by one though.... what do you think?
                    Best Regards,
                    OO=[][]=OO
                    Calvin Tan

Comment

wow!!!
                      Thanks for the input. I received a few comment from a few tire shop here. They ask me to give more negative camber up front, increase tire pressure a little bit on the rear tires. Softer setting for the front antiroll bar. Well I might need to test one by one though.... what do you think?
                      All good advice. You have plenty of negative camber, start with the sway and tire pressures.

Comment

Working...
                      X