Installing suspension, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing suspension, need help

I can't seem to get the tie rod end bolt loose, nor the control arm bolt. I've tried putting a piece of wood on the top of the bolt and hitting it with a hammer but no luck. I got a ball joint seperator and it still isn't working. I only have one tie rod end loose. Is there something I'm not doing right or can someone give me some pointers? I'm following the walkthrough from bmwe30.net on replacing front shocks and springs. Any help would be gravely appreciated. TIA
    Kris

It can be a huge pain in the ass.

I get a couple of extra control arm nuts, put the old ones on (leave a thread or two above) and hammer the shit out of the nut to get it to drop out (don't forget to disconnect your swaybar). I never messed up the threads on the control arm, but I guess it's possible. Do NOT do this method on the tie rod - it is very easy to mess up the threads. Keep working that pickle fork - hard. I've used a 2-prong gear puller also, but it's tough to get it on there.

I know I've used other methods as well, I just can't remember them.

Comment

Bill, I got the control arms out, I just put the seperator on the control arm with hammer and brought out the sledge hammer. I was talking to a VW friend and he said on VW's, you need a tool to keep the shock stationary to unbolt the top middle bolt on the shock tower. Don't know if you need one for BMW. Also, I broke the seal for the tie rod ends(the very end where the bolt comes out of), so I'm guessing I need to replace the tie rod ends and I broke a seal on the control arms. Is the control arm seal fixable? I really don't want to have to buy new CA's. Thanks for your help.
      Kris

Comment

What do you mean seal? You mean the boots over the ball joints? You can get urethane replacements from BMP ( www.bmpdesign.com ) for like $3-4 each, but you have to disconnect the ball joints to put them on. They're nice pieces though.

Before I jack the car up, I usually break the upper strut nuts loose (sometimes it takes a little elbow grease and a couple tries). If you haven't done that, you can try holding the shock piston from moving by using a rag or some sort of grip material and a pair of channel locks (through coils in the spring) while you loosen the top nut.

HTH

Comment

Ok, I'm still having trouble with the suspension. I can't seem to get the strut out of the strut assembly. I went to many different places and people don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Any reply is appreciated, I really would like to get this done.
          Kris

Comment

did you take the retaining collar off?.... its just above the spring perch, it threads into the strut tube.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I can't figure out how to get it off. Thats what I'm trying to do right now. I'll keep trying and check back in a minute.

Comment

It's often pretty rusted. Try some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and a monkey wrench.

Comment

Ya monkey wrench

Or Put it in a table vice and turn it from the rotor. I did that on my donor strut.

Sold it.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. It took WD40 and two wacks from the sledge hammer on the monkey wrench to even get it loose. It should be all downhill from here, just a few more questions. How much oil/full strength anti-freeze do I add to the strut housing? A teaspoon? Tbspoon? Is there anything I need to lube up before reinstalling? Also, I'm putting in Bilsteins, what is the white plastic washer with six grooves pointing in and where does it go? Thanks.
                    Kris

Comment

no oil

Comment

Yeah, no oil.

You put the white ring inside the bottom of the blue protective boot and that holds it over the shock collar.

Comment

I got the front done today, and the rear shocks out. I can't seem to get the springs out though. I can't fit both spring compressors underneath and I definately don't want to put just one on. Does anyone know how to get the rear springs out? I need to get this done today, if possible. After I get the springs out, its all downhill. Thanks.
                          Kris

Comment

Positions the compressors strategically, MAKE SURE HAND-BRAKE IS RELEASED... compress springs as much as you can..put pressure on trailing arm by stepping on axle and yank them out.

For some weird reason I got my rear springs out real fast...1st time around when I helped someone do his... it was a bitch he he

Good luck..

Comment

If the car is on jackstands, and the trailing arms are at full droop with the ebrake off.... you can pull the springs out easily by hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X