Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to make an E30 suspension bulletproof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it take to make an E30 suspension bulletproof?

I'm trying to plan out my suspension mods, and I'm wondering what all I need to do to an e30 in order to have a complete suspension. what reinforcements, brackets, etc. would be necessary for a fairly aggressive street/track setup?

any insight, or someone simply calling me a noob and saying search would be fine
    BEERTECH

Re: What does it take to make an E30 suspension bulletproof?

Originally posted by Rob
    any insight, or someone simply calling me a noob and saying search would be fine
    haha....well, what are you going for here? A track setup or more of a street setup?

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

daily driven, occasional autocross, 3-4 DEs a year. they'll be compromises I know. I'm not really asking what spring/shock/sway combo or anything, I'm just trying to guage what else I'd need to do, if that makes any sense
      BEERTECH

Comment

Track / Auto-x / Street

The above are my suspension priorities.

Heres what you will need:

Whatever brand sport shocks and springs your budget can afford. I prefer Koni Single adjustables, followed by Bilsteins.

I bought my car with H&R coilovers installed. Ride is definately Bilstein-ish, like a brick. Konis shocks seem to be valved to provide a more compliant smoother ride.

As far as springs are concerned any H&R or Eibach. A set that will yield a 1.5" -2" drop.

Anti roll bars - Racing Dynamics or Suspension Techniques.

My car has Suspension Techniques anti roll bars for the very following reason, Turner motorsport makes re-enforced mounting brackets for that anti roll bar set. They are also some of the stiffest anfd thickest made for E30s.

If you are going to track and auto-x, rear sway bar re-enforcements are mandatory.

Also get the rear anti roll bar mounting link to trailing arm re-enforcements.

Another must is to upgrade the rear upper shock mounts with units from Turner or Ground Control.

The combination of the above will yield a combination that will suit most all driving situations, but skewed a bit more to track and auto-x as the increse in ride and roll stiffnes will compromise street comfort.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I am in the same situation you are. I think that i will be going with a couple Ireland Engineering products. Their sway bar set and their springs, which are very stiff. The ride will suffer but hey i'm 17 what do i care about comfort.

-Evan

Comment

Originally posted by TIATO
            If you are going to track and auto-x, rear sway bar re-enforcements are mandatory.

Also get the rear anti roll bar mounting link to trailing arm re-enforcements.

Another must is to upgrade the rear upper shock mounts with units from Turner or Ground Control.

The combination of the above will yield a combination that will suit most all driving situations, but skewed a bit more to track and auto-x as the increse in ride and roll stiffnes will compromise street comfort.

Hope this helps.

Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!
            BEERTECH

Comment

I'd also run urethane subframe mounts, it's a nice way to make sure the power goes to the ground without slop, and they keep the rear suspension from floating in corner entry/exit.

Comment

Along with what Mario said...

Replace stuff like the front upper strut mounts, control arms, tie rod ends, swaybar links.

I'd also do the rear subframe mounts. They're a bitch to replace but they get worn out after about 150K. Mine were shot at 175K and still are. :)

Comment

Working...
                X