PBR Metal Master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBR Metal Master?

What do you think of PBR Metal Master brake pads? Better than stock?

thanks
    Nick

i have them, their great upgrade, and cheap.
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz
      Do they make a lot of dust?

Comment

The general concensus is to stay far away from them. Old technology, poor performance.

The Ultimates (made by the same parent company) are a whole different story though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
          The general concensus is to stay far away from them. Old technology, poor performance.

The Ultimates (made by the same parent company) are a whole different story though.
          Could you elaborate more

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
            Originally posted by Spaz
            Do they make a lot of dust?
            a fair bit, but i was my car weekly and i have easy wheels to clean so i'm ok with it.
            Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by spencers
              Originally posted by Mystikal

Could you elaborate more
              I have no first hand, so nope. I just remember very well reading on Bfc and even on here (or maybe E3S) that they are very poor pads and are living on reputation alone, since they've been around since the 80's.

And if you mean elaborate on the Ultimates, they get glowing reviews from the Bfc guys. Similiar dust to stock, but significantly improved bite.

Comment

Re: PBR Metal Master?

Originally posted by LennysEleven
                What do you think of PBR Metal Master brake pads? Better than stock?

thanks
                Nick
                They are junk. They are technology from the 70s and fade easily to boot.

Look into Ultimates or HPS/HP+ or something else.

Comment

I had the PBR's and they are a poor performing pad. I really tested the pad out at a track event and I glaxed all four pads over meaning they were useless. They do not dust which is nice however I would like to stop and at the sacrifice of a clean wheel that is fine with me. I know have Axis Ultimate pads which do dust but stop like a banche.

Andy

Comment

You mean METAL MANGLERS?
                    They are a OK pad, but unless you are going to track the car, just get the Delux. They also cost less.

OR, you can get some Mintex, these pads rock for a street car.

The bad about MM
                    1. They EAT rotors!
                    2. They don't bite fast in the wet, sometimes there is a 1-3sec delay
                    3. They squeal as they wear down
                    4. They are a VERY hard compound, so you get a weird "feel" from them.

the good...
                    1. They last FOREVER
                    2. Very low dust
                    3. They handle heat well

I used to use them back in the day, but there are countless other pads out there for the same price with better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
                      They are a OK pad, but unless you are going to track the car, just get the Delux. They also cost less.
                      I wouldn't recommend the Deluxes, I've had them on my car for a few months and the noise they make is driving me nuts. I'll be going with Ultimates next.

Comment

From Personal experience. The metal masters used to be great pads until PBR was bought out recently (the last couple years).

Now many people have said since they were bought, the Metal Master pads went downhill and aren't grippy pads, especially in the wet.

Now my experience has been (since they came with my front and rear BBK from IE), they are performing great but I think only because of the sheer size of the pads and rotors (both huge). And they HARDLY DUST. They have been very quiet so far, but are still brand new practically. I've also notice that i have not had any delay in rain, but this may be because of the x-drilled rotors because the holes also allow a way for water to escape. I'll keep everyone updated of what happens as they wear...but either way, my next set of pads will be Mintex Reds because I've wanted to try them forever.

My so-far recommendation would be that the Metal-Masters are an excellent street pad.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

wow, I was planing on buying metal masters this week, Good thing i saw this thread. Im getting my stuff from Turner and would like to get all of it there. I am getting ATE power discs in the front, stock ones in the back. What do you guys think of Pagid Brake Pads - Dark Blue Sport Pad. Thanks.
                          90 325is
                          IE stage 3s and refeshed m20....

Comment

Someone just posted on Pagids and how they produce a tremedous amount of brake dust. I've heard great things about Mintex Reds. Honestly, if this is a street-only car that you occasionally use to do a little "spirited driving" then I think PBR metal-masters will actually be fine for you.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                            X