Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball Joint

stupid question... flame away as long as i get an answer

do i have to replace the whole control arm because my ball joint is shot. If i have to replace the control arm, i have to replace the bushing, if i have to replace the bushing i have to do the other side so thats 2 ball joints, 2 control arms, and 2 bushings.... and if i do what would be the benefit of offset M3 CAB's

thanks

1) You can just replace a ball joint.
    2) It may be cheaper to get the whole control arm because you have to factor in getting the old ball joint removed and the new one pressed in.
    3) If your CAB's are shot, you should replace them. I do not believe it is necessary to replace the CAB's just becuase you changed out the CA.
    4) Offset CAB's increase the caster and in turn increase high speed stability.

HTH

Aaron
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

excellent
      i have a press so pressing them in / out wont be a problem
      my haynes "yes i know it sucks, i'm poor and it came with the car" says i need to replace the control arm and everything so now i know it's full of shit

thanks a lot

Comment

buy a bently, its really worth it, something like $35, trust me, its worth it
        Dan

Comment

How do you know when the ball joint is shot? Mine are pretty stiff.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

An easy way to tell when they are ready to replace is when the rubber boots are torn.

Aaron
            2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

aaron the boots can be fine and the ball joint be shot
              i think what killed mine was hitting a pot hole hard enough to bend a bottle cap into the caliper, i now have a nice sized grove on the inside of the now spare wheel....
              so anyway ken jack the front of the car up lock the steering and shake the wheel as if it was turning if it moves there is wear in the ball joint and it should be replaced only was i know of how to tell if there done
              mine is done

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
                An easy way to tell when they are ready to replace is when the rubber boots are torn.

Aaron
                crap
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

ah shit

Comment

Originally posted by BahnE30
                    excellent
                    i have a press so pressing them in / out wont be a problem
                    my haynes "yes i know it sucks, i'm poor and it came with the car" says i need to replace the control arm and everything so now i know it's full of shit

thanks a lot
                    what kind of press...... some of this stuff is pretty tight fit...... i used a 50 ton press on my CAB's (i didnt need it) but your press might not be sufficent

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

specific press for taking out ball joints with all the attachments

helps when your dad used to own / manage a huge shop

Comment

Working...
                      X