Rattle Rattle Thunder Clatter Boom Boom Boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle Rattle Thunder Clatter Boom Boom Boom

I replaced my rear shock mounts with E46 non m shock mounts, and they feel nice and all, but it didn't get rid of my rattle on the right side! What the hell could be causing it! It sounded really shock mountish, but I guess that wasn't it. The rattle is like a dink, or a dunk over big bumps. Could it be coming from the shock itself? Or where the bottom of the shock mounts to the car? Whenever I really tightened the bottom it eases up the noise, and it gradually comes back after a few yards of driving, until its loud as hell again.

I'm confused...

Are you sure the shock mount is tight on the top of the shock? I had to put the rod in a vice between pieces of wood to keep it still so I could get enough torque on the threads on the top.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
      Are you sure the shock mount is tight on the top of the shock? I had to put the rod in a vice between pieces of wood to keep it still so I could get enough torque on the threads on the top.
      Hmm... I used a channel lock with my left to hold the rod, and ratcheted with my right...

Maybe it isn't tight enough.

Or maybe it is the E46 NON M shock mount...

Comment

Sounds like it'd be enough.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

sway bar bushings? are your spring pads worn through? lower shock bushing? there are a lot of things it could be

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Lower shock bushing? What do those look like? And could sway bar links or bushings cause noise on JUST the right side? How can I tell if the spring pads have worn through?

Man this is alot worse than I hoped it would be...

Comment

there is a bushing on the rear shocks where it bolts to the trailing arm..... it could be hitting the trailing arm if the bushing were worn out, or if a washer were missing

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution
                there is a bushing on the rear shocks where it bolts to the trailing arm..... it could be hitting the trailing arm if the bushing were worn out, or if a washer were missing
                Awesome! This is great. Because I thought there was suppose to be something there and there wasn't.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekDriver
                  Originally posted by e30evolution
                  Awesome! This is great. Because I thought there was suppose to be something there and there wasn't.

Thanks for the help.
                  What do you mean there wasn't?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Nevermind, there was. There was no washer, I put one on and it still rattles like hell. Should there only be one washer on the bolt head side?

I am totally stumped. What could be cousing the loud doonk, dinking noises

Comment

I have the same problem, or at least it sounds the same. Intermittent clunking (you call it dunking and dinking) sounds coming from the rear right. I've done all sorts of things: replaced the bushings, coil springs, shock mounts and shock absorbers. The sound remains. I've tightened anything that could be loose like the battery and muffler and removed tools, the spare tire and stuff that could be causing the rattle. But the noise remains - intermittently surfacing on uneven road. What else is there to do? I have no idea. Neither do the mechanics from at least 3 shops and one official BMW repair. I have to try looking if its just something loose in the brake area. But, strangely, it really feels like its coming from the shock mount area - even if I've changed the rsm twice to be sure.
                      If you discover what it is...pass on the info, please. I'm just as desperate.

Comment

There is one thing I haven't checked. Does anyone know if this sound (more like a set of low thuds) could be caused by worn/torn spring pads in the rear? That's probably the last place I haven't checked.

Comment

Working...
                        X