Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going out of my mind - 89 325i Coupe ABS fault Diag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going out of my mind - 89 325i Coupe ABS fault Diag...

read a number of write-ups and followed them to a "T" and still havent gotten anywhere. Im pulling my hair out trying to solve this one.

I did a brake job in the rear, everything went fine - for months, no issues. Did a brake job and strut replacement in the front, everything was fine for about a week, then got a ABS light. The light only goes on after driving (approx 10mph). So, I have been reading that if the light only comes on after moving, it is either wheel speed sensors of the abs control unit. I did the test where I disconnect all 4 sensors and plug them in one at a time. Light illuminates when either front is connected. Light DOES NOT illuminate when either rear sensor is connected by itself, but if I connect both rears, the light will come on. I even bought a third used oem sensor to test and same issue. I should also mention that this is a new issue, nothing but the brakes and front strut inserts have been changed. I have inspected the axle rings and sensors - I have cleaned them out and they all look clean and undamaged.

These findings would lead me to believe both rears went bad at the same time, however, I have checked voltage/signal at both of the sensor connectors - both have signal. Then I tested them at the abs control unit under the steering wheel and both are getting signal to the connector. I have also replaced the Abs control unit with another of suspected good working condition and I have the same exact results. Rear sensors individually do not trigger a light, but when both are connected together, they throw a light.

Additionally, although probably unrelated, I have had a brake lining light on forever which did not go away when I replaced the pad sensors, is there is a reset procedure for that once they are installed? like leave key in position 1 for 10 seconds? I had a coolant level light come on, I pulled the sensor and cleaned it off and topped off the coolant and the brake lining light went off for a day, but did come back. Is the brake lining wiring in the same harness as the coolant level sensor?

Any suggestions here? Thank you!

Have you looked at this post: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...=251112&page=2

Comment

Working...
    X