Porsche brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche brakes

So I'm looking into fitting some Porsche Brembo calipers onto my 318is.

I have fronts from a 99 911, but can also pick up the rears if those would work better (a friend of mine has them).

Apparently the MK2 VW guys are putting front rotors from a Seat ibiza cupra-r, and the front caliper brackets from an audi rs-2, with Brembo four pot calipers (rears). This worked with Porsche rear calipers on a 305mm rotor. See this thread on vortex:

Since the Mk2 and Mk3 have the same lug pattern (4x100) and same center bore size 57.1mm, I don't see why the rotors wouldn't work on the e30. I just need to make sure the back of the rotor will fit over the hub... I believe the 280mm Corrado G60 rotors are the same but just need to be machined at the back to fit the e30 hub. Also, the lug holes can easily be drilled to accommodate the e30 lug bolts or a lug-stud conversion (probably a good idea as I can't stand lug bolts).

The final setup will look similar to this-

The price for the 305x28 disks for ibiza cupra-r (2001 model) are £57 each+vat
    (found this in a post from 08, will have an updated quote when I get an email back) and will probably have to source them over seas... not sure about getting seat parts here.

I may just need to have some caliper brackets machined with these rotors (a very affordable alternative to custom machined hats) and my brembo calipers and will be golden.

Rich
    Last edited by richardb; 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM.
    Transaction Feedback!

Here's the fronts 1999 911 996 brembo 4 pot calipers (monoblock) design is much more rigid than the wilwood two piece design.

They may be too large to use with the 12'' rotor, so I may use the 996 rears on the front, will take measurements this week.

Rich
    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by richardb View Post
      Here's the fronts 1999 911 996 brembo 4 pot calipers (monoblock) design is much more rigid than the wilwood two piece design.
      I am afraid this could be a blanket/uneducated statement as Wilwood makes more than one caliper. There are many thing that makes a caliper appropriate for a certain duty. Flex is indeed one aspect, but there are many others, such as piston material, piston size, weight of calipers, pad area, pad annulus, cost of maintenance.

The calipers are also as good as they keep your brakes properly balanced. Let us know what you will end up doing, and don't skip precious data such as piston size and material.
      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Check out 300mm.de.

They use Audi TT rotors, redrilled to 4X100.

Don't even think about starting on the "redrilled is weak" BS, as these pass TUV.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I took some measurements on the oe porsche rotors today.

Rear: 11 3/4'' diameter, 1'' thick

Front: 12 1/2'' diameter, 1 2/16th '' thick

Lee, as far as I know all of the calipers on wilwood's website under the caliper section are two piece design... unless they have a monoblock design that isn't listed.

StereoInstaller thanks for the website... it was meant to be! This makes me very excited...

Edit:

I found the right page... it's a little difficult in German

I guess this picture serves as my motivation
          Last edited by richardb; 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM.
          Transaction Feedback!

Comment

So the 294mm is the rear kit using rear calipers, 294x19mm
            The front kit is 312x25mm
            Transaction Feedback!

Comment

google will translate that

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I translated the site but haven't found info on the TT redrilled rotors mentioned anywhere?

Rear calipers part number: 996.352.422

Front calipers part number: 996.351.425
                Last edited by richardb; 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM.
                Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Ok the Audi TT rotors are 312mm x 25mm, and are commonly redrilled and used on vdubs with boxter calipers (same part # as 996 calipers). Here is a source for brackets already made: http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1310

They list for $175, does anyone know if e30 caliper brackets are the same as vw?

Also, I am trying to find out what the center bore size is for the TT rotors and what year I need to get. (These are much easier to source than Seat Cupra rotors!). However, MKII and III guys are using them so I would imagine they would work...

Edit: Just found this post after doing some searching:

Using Luke's research:

"BTW, I went to ATE's site and found specs on all of their rotors. The 2003 Audi TT (P/N D930) uses a 312mmX25mm disk, with a heigth of 35mm.

The E30 rotors have a height of 36mm"

I am having a hard time finding the TT rotors that ONLY have 5 bolt holes so there is material to redrill to 4x100. Most rotors I've seen have holes drilled all the way around so it's not possible to redrill. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please chime in... tia
                  Last edited by richardb; 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM.
                  Transaction Feedback!

Comment

I went to look at TT rotors today, they all have more than 5 holes drilled in the rotor hat, so a 4x100 redrill would be impossible, unless I can find a TT rotor with JUST 5 holes drilled. The rotor looks perfect in every other aspect. Any suggestions?
                    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

I would assume the vwvortex guys that put the TT rotors on 4x100 Vdubs would know best.
                      '89 325i track sloot
                      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I think the TT rotors are not going to work... there is no way to drill to 4x100 with the amount of holes- that is how they come, no 5 hole only. Anyway, the TT rotors only work with the following

Audi A4 1996 - 01
                        Audi TT (180, 225) 1999 - 05
                        VW Golf / Jetta 1999 - 05
                        VW Beetle 1998 - 05
                        VW Passat 1998 - 05

I'm considering e46 330i front rotors redrilled...
                        Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

This guy made his own BBK usuing Posche 4-pistons, he may have spares or info he could relate.
                          '89 325i track sloot
                          '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I will contact him thanks. Also found this: http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/pa...-head-etc.html

RSX type s rotor redrilled to 4x100. 11.8''

hub size 67.1
                            Last edited by richardb; 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM.
                            Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Working...
                            X