Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement?

Does anyone know if its possible to buy replacement ball joints for the e30 m3 aluminum control arms i that i have? i have seen replacement kits for the steel arms but not the aluminum arms and i dont feel like dishing out the massive amount of cheddar on entirely new aluminum arms.

Please post any links to companies that sell them if you know of any.

thanks!

i'd like to know this too. i have a pair of aluminum CA but i heard they should be replaced every couple of years

1991 330is

Comment

I'm trying to confirm this, but Bimmerforums rumor is that you AREN'T supposed to replace just the balljoints. You are supposed to replace the whole arm.

All I can find is the Pelican article that states only the non-M E36 ball joints are replaceable.
      Last edited by whiltebeitel; 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM.
      '89 325i track sloot
      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
        I'm trying to confirm this, but Bimmerforums rumor is that you AREN'T supposed to replace just the balljoints. You are supposed to replace the whole arm.

All I can find is the Pelican article that states only the non-M E36 ball joints are replaceable.
        damnnnnn the e30m3 aluminum arms are a couple hundreds dollars per side :(

Comment

The E30 M3 arms and '95 E36 M3 arms are the same, iirc. Check that, price-wise for comparison.

FWIW, a lot of racers don't bother with the aluminum control arms, so there may not be a really good reason to run the super-expensive E30 M3 arms.
          '89 325i track sloot
          '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
            The E30 M3 arms and '95 E36 M3 arms are the same, iirc. Check that, price-wise for comparison.

FWIW, a lot of racers don't bother with the aluminum control arms, so there may not be a really good reason to run the super-expensive E30 M3 arms.

Lots don't bother with the aluminum arms because they flex under high load cornering. I'm fairly certian the ball joints are the same between both arms, but i'd just go with putting in new steel arms.

Cam
            Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

When I was looking for a specific reason to the "don't replace" mantra, I also came across assertions that M3 control arms had heat-treated balljoints and no rubber in the joint, like on non-m cars.
              '89 325i track sloot
              '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

^ thanks for all the info guys! i think i might just go with steel replacement arms as i dont plan on tracking the car so i the extra 2kg per side wont affect me much.

So i guess ill post up the extra e30m3 5 lug setup i have for sale with the aluminum arms that are attached.

Comment

Thread necro....

Has anyone successfully done this? My touring has shot aluminium control arms (yes factory fitment same as e30 m3) and I am swapping them out for lemforder steel ones. Just wondering if I can rebuild the alloy ones or scrap them.
                  Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
                  2000 M5 Winter beater
                  1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
                  1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

I thought about trying aluminum ones too, but my research found that you can't rebuild.

Just go with the steel ones.
                    Estoguy
                    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                    X