Replacing control arm bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing control arm bushings

Well my driver side bushing is pretty much worthless so I got new ones but the question is can I remove the lollipop by taking off the 2 bolts then sliding it off. It will slide off the control arm easily but do I have to undo anything else
    also when putting on the new one can I just slide the lollipop back on or do I need to undo the drop link and other parts

I had to use a 3 jaw puller to get my oem cabs off, they were a bitch and didn't want to budge. And for ease of installation, I'd drop the control arms down as far as possible.
    1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

PBblaster/WD 40 and it will slip off control arm

take to a machine shop to get them changed

charged me 30$ to do it

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I did mine last week and it wasn't to bad my passengers side slid right off but my drivers side was a bitch. I used a air chisel to split mine in half. If it has a lot of wear on the bushing then it should be to hard but with a lot of rubber left it its usually harder. Good luck.

Comment

That's what THR eyeball arms are for ;)

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

A two jaw puller makes removing the CAB trivial.

A pipe clamp or similar makes re-installation quick and easy -- you'll need a socket or short pipe as a spacer.

Replacing the bushing in the lollipop requires a press. Otherwise the job is slow and painful.

Comment

I've heard that throwing the new rubber bushings in the freezer overnight BEFORE putting them in makes them easier to install as well. They shrink a little bit, become a little harder and should slide in with some coaxing. At least that is what I will be trying in a few weeks...

Comment

getting the bushings off, and out is trivial, with the proper tools. A 2 jaw puller makes short work of the inner piece on the control arm, and an air chisel pops them out of the lollipop with ease. Getting the new bushing in the lollipop is also fairly easy with either a press (ball joint type will work) or a decent sized vice (I did mine in a harbor freight special) pushing it on the control arm can be a pain in the ass though. clean and lube the pin on the back of the control arm, and lube the bore of the bushing liberally ( I used WD-40 and Vaseline) and push the bushing on in one smooth motion (this is easier said than done) bolt it all back up and viola, new bushings
                I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Do not use WD-40 or Vaseline to lubricate the CAB or control arm. You need a lubricant that evaporates, leaving CAB with a firm grip on the arm.

I use diluted laundry detergent or hand dishwashing detergent. The fluid BMW uses reportedly has a kerosene smell.

Installation is quick and easy with a pipe clamp or bar clamp. It takes under 30 seconds, and then just a few more seconds to spin in the pre-anti-seized bolts with the impact gun on the lowest setting. A quick process is important since you want to immediately put weight on the suspension so that the bushing grabs the control arm at the correct rotation. You can torque the bolts after the car is on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by DJB View Post
                    Do not use WD-40 or Vaseline to lubricate the CAB or control arm.

well, too late now....
                    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

The only lubricant to use for sliding the FCAB onto the CA is soapy water. Reason being it will evaporate and the bushing will bond to the control arm, thereby limiting possible movement and travel.

If the bushing is able to slide up and down the control arm, even a little, it changes the suspension geometry which will absolutely ruin your new ride, and make the bushings wear at an accelerated rate.

Soapy water, not soap. In fact, it is best to install the bushings and control arms and let the car sit a day or two for all the soap to evaporate before driving the car. This will ensure the best results.
                      sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Working...
                      X