Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Rotor Cleaning/Pad Deposit Removal Methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Rotor Cleaning/Pad Deposit Removal Methods?

I put some new rotors in not too long ago, and didn't bed the pads properly evidently. What's the best way to remove the pad deposits so I don't get any pulsing?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Remove the rotors and use 180 grit sand paper to remove the deposits and polish with 320 grit. This is best accomplished with a sanding disk in am angle grinder.

It is possible, depending on what pads that you are using, that the deposits aren't a result of improper bedding in. If the pads aren't suitable for your driving style and conditions, they may be leaving pad deposits during driving. Low dust pads are bad about this when a car is driven aggressively on the street.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Would a brass wire wheel be effective?
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I always used Emery Cloth on my R6 to clean up the rotors between pad changes.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Just re-bed the pads.

Brake pads work by putting a deposit on the rotors. During normal braking the friction surface is pretty much non-wearing contact between the matching friction material. It's only during heavy braking with high heat that significant wear occurs.

The bedding-in process will wear away the old, uneven pad deposits down to a bit of wear on the metal disk. If you finish properly you'll end up with a thin, even new deposit.

I've occasionally had to do with my Z3. My friends Audi A3 gets pretty bad in just a few months. Of course the best preventative measure is regular HPDE days.

Comment

Working...
          X