Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally think I found the subframe problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally think I found the subframe problem.

Last fall I made some major progress and painted my trailing arms and subframe, installed a new differential and new axles, hubs, wheel bearings, etc.

Around november I couldn't bolt up the subframe because on one side I wasn't getting enough threads on the subframe nut. In the past six months I've tried several times to unload the subframe and even crank the impact wrench to max.

Would you believe this entire time, the big f'in washer was the problem? I checked with a mirror and fiber optic light to make sure it was flush on the 75d akg bushings and it always looked good. Today I just pulled the washer out to check and noticed it was misaligned the whole time and the center aluminum stud in the bushing was likely catching on the edge.

Hopefully I didn't f up the bushing much. Frankly, I'm embarrassed that something so simple has caused me so much consternation that I've put off working on the car for months. One step closer to the picnic though!

Picture of the problem washer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	washer 002 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	7215383

Click image for larger version

Name:	washer 003 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	7215384

at least you found the problem

hopefully you will be ready for the picnic
    -Andy

Comment

I love and hate those moments! Pat on the back for keepin on tho :)
      sigpic

Comment

Kick in the nuts for being such a stubborn dork?

You fucking KNOW to take it back apart no matter how "perfect" your work is.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

This happened with my subframe, although slightly different. My cars been sitting safe in a hangar, but i need to get it out. Good to know it makes a difference :D

Comment

Working...
          X