bent trailing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bent trailing arm

Well St Patrick's night in the rain, I spun out when I was forced off-road by a drunk running a red light in his Expedition. I was originally traveling straight at about 35-40mph. When I spun, my right rear wheel hit a curb and stopped the car.

Car has 4 good wheels and tires now, and 3 corners check out fine, but the corner that hit the curb has positive camber and bad toe. Not surprising at all, but I'm asking what I should replace? Trailing arm's not a huge deal, but I'd hate to drop the whole rear assembly and replace all of it because I just did bushings/wheel bearings/etc last year or so (also because of money reasons and this being my only car until I finish a motor swap on the other). However, I'm afraid the subframe might have bent on that side too.

What do you guys think?

update sort of- after further inspection, i think i'll first try replacing the trailing arm tomorrow and see where that gets me. the trailing arm mounting points on the subframe dont seem bent, so maybe thatll be the end of it. still wanna hear more knowledgeable opinions though!

Comment

The rear subframe seldom suffers damage from a wheel strike. The trailing arm is the weaker piece and it absorbs the blow by bending. My guess is that all you need do is to replace the trailing arm. The trailing arm can be replaced w/o dropping the subframe.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

thanks jlevie. got the new arm in today. all is well!

Comment

Good luck man I hope it's only the trailing arm
          "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Working...
          X