Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between front 318i/325i brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between front 318i/325i brakes?

First post. Yes, I did the search. But, can't find the answer.

I just bought '85 318i with 220k mi. for daily driving. I would like to upgrade the front brake to 325i vented unit.

For those that have taken this path before. Please share your wisdom.

What do I need? Would be nice if I can use some brake parts from my 318i for the conversion. But, I don't know the difference between 318i/325i brake. Other than one is vented:(

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bumster
    Fast lookin' Slow movin'

My 318i has ventilated dics on the front.

Comment

'90-91 318i is vented

Calypso.

I do know that later 318i came with 325i brakes. My is solid disc.

I was hoping that the dia. of the disc is the same. What I'm not sure of is the thickness of vented disc might not work with my 318i caliper.

Thanks,
      Fast lookin' Slow movin'

Comment

I'm think you can bolt later 325i calipers and vented rotors onto the early (small) strut housings. If not, its not a big or expensive proposal to upgrade the entire strut assembly, which will give you the bigger brakes as well as open more avenue for suspension choices.
        BEERTECH

Comment

I've got the front calipers as well as the rear trailing arms from a 325 so you could also swap to rear disks. PM me if you'd like to buy these off me. Peace.

Comment

You need, 325i/e rotors and calipers. They bolt right up no modification required. :D
            85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I have a set of complete front suspension assemblies w/ brakes if you're interested.
              San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Thank you for all your inputs.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your inputs. I might just drive it the way it is.

The reason why I want to upgrade the brakes and suspension. I got an extra M50 w/ 117k mi. that taken my garage space.

Thanks again,

Bumster
                Fast lookin' Slow movin'

Comment

Working...
                X