Rear Subframe bolt question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Subframe bolt question.

I swear I searched for 30 minutes but no thread was very clear on this!

Do the two 14mm rear subframe bolts come out?
    Are they pressed in from under the rear seat? Are they threaded in?
    Any pictures or links to pictures of removing these?

I will be removing my subframe tonight (again) because I think it's bent. Last time I dropped all the exhaust/driveshaft/etc because I had to but this time I'd like to drop subframe and leave as much in as possible while doing so.

Thanks!
    "you name it I've owned it, 1600,2002,e28,e30,e32,e34(m5),e36,e46(m3)"

yes, they do. if you are going to completely remove the rear sub frame you will have to get everything out of the way.
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

They're pressed in. Take the rear seat bottom up, and hammer them from underneath and they'll pop up into the cabin.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
        yes, they do. if you are going to completely remove the rear sub frame you will have to get everything out of the way.
        You mean to take the subframe out you still need to remove drive shaft? I understand rear section of the exhaust will come out.

Comment

No you don't need to remove the driveshaft, you just need to unbolt it from the diff.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Thanks fellas. Here I go tonight!

Comment

Do what these guys said. Then thread a 5/8" lag bolt into the bushing, like so:

(it is imperative that you use the most bootleg set-up possible to support your diff and exhaust)

Then use a 3/8" rod or something like it to bash the subframe off of the the car from above, like so:

EDIT: sorry about the huge image, they are both supposed to be the same according to photobucket...
              Last edited by structured; 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

These bolts don't HAVE to come out to drop the subframe.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  These bolts don't HAVE to come out to drop the subframe.
                  True. Only if the subframe wont fall out on its own or with a bit of prying. But lets be serious, what are the odds of that?

On second thought, the OP says that he has done this before, leading one to think that there might not be much corrosion keeping it on there. At the same time I have to wonder why the OP is asking if he has already done the job...

Comment

Originally posted by structured View Post
                    True. Only if the subframe wont fall out on its own or with a bit of prying. But lets be serious, what are the odds of that?

On second thought, the OP says that he has done this before, leading one to think that there might not be much corrosion keeping it on there. At the same time I have to wonder why the OP is asking if he has already done the job...
                    I have done it before but when I did I had the entire exhaust and driveshaft out so there was no need to remove the subframe studs, just the nuts.

Thanks guys, helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X