Squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeak

Put new Brembo OEM rotors on the back and Hawk HP+ pads all around. Worked great. Took it to the track (Buttonwillow) and had a blast passing much more powerful cars.

Now they squeak like a mofo. Tons of pad left. Not just when stopping, but also when just rolling along.

Is this just the nature of the pads or is there a fix? I can swap the street pads I had back on but that's a pain I'd like to avoid.
    sigpic
    -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Is there a hung up caliper?
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

HP+ pads are going to squeal when they are cold. It is just the nature of that type of pad. HPS pads, especially just after a track weekend also tend to squeal, but they will quiet down after a bit of street driving.

I used to think that all "trackable" pads had that characteristic. But once I switched from Hawk HT10 pads to PFC pads on my Spec E30 I realized that may be too large an assumption. I don't regularly drive the car on the street, but I can't remember an occasion when doing so of an objectionable squeal from the pads. The rear pads do rattle at low speeds because they don't have clips that fit inside the caliper pistons, but even that isn't all that loud.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
        Is there a hung up caliper?
        I don't know what that means.

I was afraid the pads were just "like that". Aah well...it goes with the terrible paint job the car has. I washed 'em out good and sprayed a touch of Simple Green in there to clear out the dust and it seems to have helped. Not driving it so much now that I have a new truck though.
        sigpic
        -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

It means that a caliper might be stuck "braking" even with your foot off the brake pedal. Also called a frozen caliper.
          Originally posted by cabriodster87
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
          Originally posted by Kershaw
          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Working...
          X