stripped disc hex bolt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped disc hex bolt help

help guys, i have a stripped hex bolt on my rotor. not the threads but the hex head itself. whats the best way to get it out? what tools and what size. this is new to me.
    sigpic

You can try heat + easy out bit, but odds are you will just have to drill it out.

Comment

Impact screwdriver. You hit it on the end with a hammer and it turns.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

the 1 on the drivers side wasen't even there. are they that crucial to the system that they need to go back in and are they readily available?
        sigpic

Comment

no, the screws are unnecessary.

They're usually available from your local dealer, most internet vendors, nearly anywhere except Autozone.

They're probably hopelessly stuck, so just drill the head out. Get a good drill bit and go to town. Lube the drill bit to keep it cool, otherwise it'll lose it's cutting power in the blink of any eye.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Try using a sharp punch to drive the screw head in a circle first (unscrewing it).

If you put these back in, only tighten them finger tight. They don't need to be any tighter then that. Anti-seize is a good idea too. The only thing they are there for is to keep the rotor from falling off when the wheel isn't bolted on. If you have a stud kit, it isn't needed at all.

Comment

Go back in time and tighten the set screw to finger tight. Problem solved.
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

3/8 inch drill bit did the trick. just a couple minuts and it was off. now how to get the remaining peace out. finished the brake job and just left the damn thing in there. on another note, the replacment pads are akebono euro ultra platnums eur493 is the number on the box. cant seem to find the slot for the sensor or am i just overlooking it?
                sigpic

Comment

chances are if you can't get an allen bit to bite at all an impact driver isn't going to help (it would have if you started with it, but not now). I'm with Fred K, drill the head off and call it a day
                  Greg 1987 325is (fairly far from stock at this point)

Comment

Working...
                  X