Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best method for changing rear wheel bearings without bearing tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best method for changing rear wheel bearings without bearing tools?

So I know there's a few of you out there that have changed your rear wheel bearings without using the actual bearing puller/installation tool kit. So far it seems that no one has one they're willing to lend out, and I'm not going to go out and buy the whole kit to do this one time.

What I'm looking for is the best method to do this without ruining the new ones when they go in. Getting the old ones out is probably not much of an issue, don't really have to worry about damaging them or anything. But I want to know what kind of tools you might have fabricated or come up with, and the best method for using them.

Have you checked if your autozone/autozone-like place rents out bearing pullers?
    cars beep boop

Comment

Just replied again in your other thread but in case you don't see it there. PM me your address so I can ship you the tools.

Erik

Comment

You sir, rock sir. PM sent.

Comment

Don't do it without them. Mine were so stuck a slide hammer wouldn't get them out. I ended up having to custom fabricate a puller. I'd just wait until you somebody ships it to you. Apparently it's a quick job with it.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Looks like I've got one on the way here shortly. Props to the E30 Community for coming through. :up:

Comment

Sometimes they are a bitch with the tool too, and that is the last thing you want, a bitch with a tool.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

fastest way: buy new trailing arms that already have good bearings

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Sometimes they are a bitch with the tool too, and that is the last thing you want, a bitch with a tool.
                  If they go anything close to as well as my rear subframe coming out did, I'm not too worried about it.

Comment

I used large washers stacked up and big threaded rod. Worked just like the proper pulling tool.

The proper pulling tool would be far more valuable in getting the old one out. - that's a bitch.

Comment

Got the old ones out with a hammer and a big socket. Took off the trailing arms and pressed the new bearings in.

I miss the old BMW

Comment

Working...
                      X